Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I mildly retarded for asking this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're financing, do what a couple of the others did and get your own pre-approved financing elsewhere first. The dealer may or may not be able to match or better it. The financing really is a separate deal from the bike itself.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This time of year there is no H-D dealer that is going to pull that kind of deal. If you went in February or a slow time you might be able to get a better deal. But no dealer is going to knock that much off the bike.

My friend got a pretty good deal on his Fatboy for 18K out the door with taxes, tags and a 300 dollar gift card.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Buying a motorcycle does not work like buying a car at all. The sounds of the deal you are trying to work out sounds like something you can get away with at at car dealer.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's ambitious, but as Daddy said, "You don't ask, you don't git." Plus 1 on the "be ready to walk."

I was happy with $600 off MSRP OTD--set up fees etc. waived. this is on an 2011 FLHR back in October. Dealers like to play the traditional game so start low. Often they will give another bike that happens to be in stock with paint or something else and offer that as well to influence final agreement. Stick with one bike and have the OTD number in your head--without credit. just 2 cents. Good luck!!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try it, what do you have to lose?

**Like other's have said, don't be afraid to walk. My father-in-law tried something similar and it didn't work. On his way out, he gave the salesman his card and said, "If anything changes, give me a call". They called.**

Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
RRMC-MAC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine for 15K plus taxes and tag/title charges. Its possible

Old 05-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Go in an make that offer....then if they don't accept it, call a friend and pretend they are another local dealer and say "Can I talk to so and so in sales.....yeah, I'm coming over now lets talk." Make sure the guy can probably hear you and see what happens. It worked for me buying a TV.....

Old 05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

U want that deal In May,,, and bikes sales are Up 10%-----

Good LUCK on getting that......

Old 05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
RockerFF
6th Gear

Where I live in central NC. I have 2 dealership relatively close. I went to HD of Greensboro, and overall had a bad experience, told them i was going to the other dealer and they ended up meeting me in the parking lot trying to wheel and deal, I still went to the other dealership.....Got an ok deal, but it was worth it for me to buy from people who I felt comfortable with. I don't like being "pushed" into a deal. So for what it's worth, shop around, find a dealership with good people, and try to work with them. If you're like me, you're gonna be back there quite often for maint. accesories etc.

Davis Harley in Burlington NC is TOP NOTCH

Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

Last year for the crossbones and i heard the rocker also...so go beat em up..i luv beating on sales guys and you got ammo with 10 dealers in one area..goodluck,if you are dealing in cash i would look on ebay.got my train for 8900 all mods done i owner 5000 miles.on ebay.people are broke and its a buyers market

Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Kronin
Advanced

I agree with alot of what's already been said. I bought my 2011 Lo in January and got $2k off MSRP, no credit, no parts discount. Weather was bad, the bike had been sitting on the showroom floor for 2 months. That said, the salesman thought I was pretty crazy telling him what I wanted the bike for, but they went for it (then added the dealer fees back in). Doesn't hurt to ask, but you gotta be willing to walk to get the best deal.

Quick Reply: Am I mildly retarded for asking this?