Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dirty wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
gotflexxj
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirty wheels

Does anyone know if the rear wheel and sprocket (not profile) on my 08 NightTrain are clear coated. And do you have any suggestions on how to get them clean, they have been neglected for a while and stored outdoors. I have tried Colonel Brassy, Mothers power metal and they work a little but not the results I would like to see.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

I have used Chrome polish on my solid wheel. Takes a few applications, but shines it right up.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
gotflexxj
Novice

Thanks for the info but mine has the other wheel and not sure if they are the same material.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

If they are like other Harley aluminum wheels I'd say it's not clear coated. My Fat Boy Lo aluminum wheels started to oxidize fairly quickly so I cleaned them and put on a sealer wax. I use Master Formula metal gloss with great results.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Hmmm... my wheels don't act like non-painted... you can polish them but I think you're polishing the paint, not the aluminum. There are spots on them that won't 'polish' out and it isn't from oxidation it doesn't seem. There is a surface variation like the paint is oxidizing, maybe.

My solution was to get a big pair of boss bags with the quick release. I pull the bags, wash the bike, and then put the bags back on. Wheels look good at 70 mph.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought my 98 Sportster the wheels looked bad from the years of I wont say neglect but maybe just lack of real polishing over the years. It didn't matter what I used they just weren't gonna shine again.

I took them to Metal Master's and had them bead blasted then mirror polished. I also took them a used rear pulley to be polished rather than a cheap chrome liner.

I was told the rough cast area was just going to suck the grime up again if I didn't seal that area so I used Dupilcolor Primer, Wheel Paint and Clear to seal them....That was some 4 years ago and the wheel are still looking great.

Karsten

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM
gotflexxj
Novice

Your wheels look great. Is the paint you used rattle can or spray gun stuff and what color are theuy hard to tell from the glare. And did you clear the whole wheel or just the spoke areas.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
gotflexxj
Novice

Well I took all thoughts and suggestions and put together my own plan which worked out. Since I ride a Nighttrain I wasn't looking for a super shiny chrome look so I decided to try and use wd40 and steel wool to try and get a brushed look. But before I went that far I sprayed the wheel with wd40 and started using the Colonel Brassy on it and all the dirt and grime just polished away. I still dont understand one thing though the outside edge of the wheel looks like factory but the same process made swirl marks on the hub section. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gotflexxj
Your wheels look great. Is the paint you used rattle can or spray gun stuff and what color are theuy hard to tell from the glare. And did you clear the whole wheel or just the spoke areas.
The paint was Duplicolor Rattle Can Wheel Paint. I masked off the polished flat surfaces, primed the rough cast surface, used Charcoal paint and finished with a couple cans of Clear.

Polished area are unsealed and easy to keep clean and shiny now.

Karsten