Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal flashing fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 AM
CJinNH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal flashing fast

I've searched on hear and it seems the consensus was to replace all bulbs when a turn signal is flashing fast. So I did this. Still occurs once in a while after turn signal is on a bit. Previous owner installed LED front turn signals, so I can't replace those bulbs (they are less than a year old). So I've changed both rear bulbs and noticed it happen again, I got off my bike and checked and all signals work properly, just flash quickly. If I cancel signal and restart everything goes back to normal. This only occurs when sitting at a long light, was curious if the auto canceling did this to remind riders to cancel or something. Or maybe could the LED be acting up. As far as I can tell they are flashing, but I'd hate to assume this and have one out at some point without knowing.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be a problem with the flasher (if it has one) or the load balancer/equalizer.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the load equalizer is off. Led's in front but not rear probably gonna cause a problem.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably need a load equalizer. LEDs pull less and can trick your bike into thinking that you have a burnt out bulb. Get with the guys at Custom Dynamics. They will be able to help you. Or you can just switch back to regular bulbs.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like you need a load equalizer.

Drew

Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
CJinNH
Cruiser

I'm thinking it might be the load equalizer.

JK.

Thanks for the quick advice! Having a local indy check it out for inspection Wednesday, maybe have him tell me if there's even one installed. When I get home I can snap a shot under the seat, I know there are a couple of modules installed.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If you do have one it sounds like it has gone bad. the load equalizer will "equalize" the signal from an LED light which has much less draw than an incandescent bulb so taht it blinks at the proper rate.

Drew

Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

My bike has LED tail light (Kuryakyn ) and integrated rear light ..
I had the same thing on and off over the past two years, I stopped thinking of it as a 'problem' but more of a 'feature' of the bike . so looking positiviely I can say this ..

Hey .. look , I got this TwinCam, with Andrews 37's, Doherty Power pacc, and signal lights that sometimes flash quick when left long enough... it rides great .

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
oliver99
Cruiser

my bike does the same thing, 07 road king. only on the left side, rt side is fine. and bulbs r fine and both lights r flashing just fast after a few seconds.also like above i can turn it off and back on and it starts slow and then goes fast again.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM
RKDan
4th Gear

Originally Posted by oliver99
my bike does the same thing, 07 road king. only on the left side, rt side is fine. and bulbs r fine and both lights r flashing just fast after a few seconds.also like above i can turn it off and back on and it starts slow and then goes fast again.

YES, my 2010 Road King (with Harley LED's) has started doing this exact thing only on the left. Were you ever able to find a cause/solution?

Thx, Dan

Quick Reply: Turn signal flashing fast