Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal flashing fast

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Is the dash light flashing fast or the turn signal itself?

I have Custom Dynamics r/s/t LEDs on my bike, with no load equalizer and my dash light flashes fast after a few "normal" flashes but the lights themselves flash at the normal rate. I was told the equalizer wasn't necessary, except to keep the dash light from flashing fast...which doesn't bother me at all, as long as the signals are normal..

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM
RKDan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Is the dash light flashing fast or the turn signal itself?

I have Custom Dynamics r/s/t LEDs on my bike, with no load equalizer and my dash light flashes fast after a few "normal" flashes but the lights themselves flash at the normal rate. I was told the equalizer wasn't necessary, except to keep the dash light from flashing fast...which doesn't bother me at all, as long as the signals are normal..
Just the left turn signal LED's. Has been fine for about 7 months of riding with them now all of a sudden the fast flashing after several normal flashes. Mine are HD LED's and as I recall either NO or built-in equalizer.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Not exactly the same issue, but it could be related...

I changed all my turns out to the Custom Dynamics LED's all around.
At first everything was fine - normal flash rate, but periodically the dash indicator would start flashing faster - about twice normal speed.

C.D. suggested that I cycle the four-ways and let them run for a minute or two, to "re-sync" the signals. It worked.
That fast rate re-appears occasionally, but the four-way trick always fixes it...

Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

on my 2010 dyna the TSM regulates the flash speed with both LED and incondescent signals, but i had to let them flash for 5-10 minutes after in put the LEDs on so that the TSM could figure out what was going on

Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
RKDan
4th Gear

Hmmm, okay I'll try it. Thanks

Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klf33
My bike has LED tail light ... I stopped thinking of it as a 'problem' but more of a 'feature' of the bike . so looking positiviely I can say this ...
I like this attitude....I do the same thing with my fast dash blinkers. Just check them once in a while and smile your riding a Bad --- Breakout .

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Microdoted
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is called hyperflash. the led's take so little power, that the flasher runs quicker than normal. if you need to fix this, you can add a resistor to the line that will expend that extra juice... however, i wouldnt. they get hot, and it requires tapping into the line somewhere.

simply put: flashing faster isnt illegal, and it IS something that might help you get noticed a bit more (which is a good thing)

Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
RKDan
4th Gear

Interesting thought. This gives me some things to consider.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 PM
1zappa
Stage I
Default Fast signal

Mine was a loose wire in connector at tailight

Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM
oliver99
Cruiser

Nope traded in bike 2 months ago,and bought a 14 uktra ltd funny thing is i mad tour pack quick release so kit comes with new turn signals that go on saddle bags cause the signals are in the tour pac so no signals when tour pac off. Funny thing is that signals on both sides flash fast after 4-5 flashes, agin i have new signals installed on the saddle bags, and it all harley parts used as well.

Quick Reply: Turn signal flashing fast