Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011 | 06:20 PM
lowflight
|
Advanced
Default Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel

I have a 2003 FXSTBI, Night Train....my first Harley..... and the speedometer wouldn't work, nor the odometer. The turn signals also failed to self cancel after a turn.

After reading a lot of posts about similar problems on other bikes, the consensus seemed to be that the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), located on the right side of the transmission had failed, and was not sending the correct signals to the bikes computer.

The part was about $56 dollars, with tax from my local dealer.

So, I decided to change it, and here are the steps that I took....with a few pictures along the way.

Ain't it purty! lol

The second picture shows the location of the VSS....just below the oil tank...with one allen head bolt on the left, holding it in place.....remove the bolt.

The other end of the cable goes up to the connector, which is hidden up in the area between the plastic, inner fender, and the back side of the computer. Space is very limited there, so I removed the two bolts holding the inner fender, and placed it down on the floor. It's still a tight fit, but at least you can get to it.

The connector has one "push to release" type of locking mechanism....should be pretty simple....mine was NOT!....I pushed, and pulled for an hour and a half....it simply would NOT release!

Finally, I took my Dremel, and a cutting disc, and VERY carefully split the part of the inop VSS case that the locking tab was inserted into.

I then used a small, thin screwdriver to pry open the release...it still was very hard to pull the connection apart, but, I finally got it.

Next, you have to pull the old cable out...it goes forward, toward the transmission....the space is very tight, as the connector has to go between the frame, a small cable, and the oil tank drain tube....with careful pushing and pulling, it will finally slide through.

Next, you have to get the new cable connector back through the small space between the frame and oil drain tube, and back up to the connector. Again, it takes a bit of time, and careful moving of the drain tube, and the other small cable occupying the area. I used a long, white, "twist tie" to pull the connector back through the area...slow, but effective....you can't see the connector in the picture, but, it's on the end of the white twist tie!

Once you work the connector back through, you just plug it back in. Then push the new VSS into the hole in the transmission, and replace the bolt, and tighten it up.

Next, hook the top of the plastic fender piece into place, and replace the two bolts at the bottom and tighten it up.

That's it...ready to ride....which showed that it, indeed, WAS the VSS...the speedometer works great now, and the odometer registers correctly...."work good...last long time!" lol

Just as a side note...since it's hard to find the right size allen wrench, without trying several of them, IF I ever use one on my Night Train, I put a piece of black electrical tape on it....now I've cut down the guessing quite a bit for future reference.

Attached Thumbnails Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel-night-train-014.jpg   Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel-night-train-002.jpg   Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel-night-train-007.jpg   Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel-night-train-011.jpg   Speedometer/odomer inop...turn signals don't self cancel-night-train-015.jpg  

Last edited by lowflight; 05-07-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added pictures