Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Swingarm Bag To Get

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
DavTN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, that was it. Just read through some of the posts and sorry to bring that up again. Is there anyone making tooled solo bags? Thinking about having a Gadsden flag on the bag.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from the LaRossa bags!!! They are cheap junk and don't last.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavTN
I am also in the market for a similar bag, so thanks for the options. A while back I saw a custom bag on here that was aged with something embossed on it. I have searched and searched and cannot find that post. Garage leathers could probably do this, but do any of you know the bag I'm referring to?
Originally Posted by Scheers44
DavTN its most likely a Socutom bag which are no longer made and well thats a sore spot on the forum with some of us.
Yep, his post explaining his suicide posting as if he was a friend didn't go over too well.
I didn't care for the look of his bags anyway.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
HEMI Army
Cruiser

Originally Posted by meatsack
The Garage Leathers bag comes with a buckle type thats far easier to use than the plastic clips. It's a "lever action" buckle. Not to mention...it's VERY cool. (If I'm not mistaken, I believe the buckle is a military aircraft harness latch)

Not sure about aircraft, but I know we jump them with our M1950 weapons case. It's called a "quick release snap" because everything in the Airborne world has to have an overly complicated name.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

There is a negative effect on handling with attaching weight to the swing arm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I rode to Laughlin NV with my 3" LW filled with about 20lbs of locks/tools/cleaning supplies and noticed no difference in handling.
Twistys outside of Oatman, same thing.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 AM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by HEMI Army
Not sure about aircraft, but I know we jump them with our M1950 weapons case. It's called a "quick release snap" because everything in the Airborne world has to have an overly complicated name.
Even cooler...thanks for clarifying...

Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I rode to Laughlin NV with my 3" LW filled with about 20lbs of locks/tools/cleaning supplies and noticed no difference in handling.
Twistys outside of Oatman, same thing.
Do a side by side comparison and ride hard and fast in the corners on a less than perfect road and I guarantee you will be able to detect 20lbs of extra unsprung weight. Basically an increase to unsprung weight will prevent the rear suspension from being able to respond as quickly to bumps as it could otherwise, the higher the speed the suspension needs to move in response to a bump, the more noticeable the effect will be. The rear tire will be more likely to unweight or completely bounce off the road with extra unsprung weight. This means less rear grip in the corners on a bumpy road. See the link I posted earlier for a better explanation than I can give on the science behind it. Manufacturers don't put lightweight forged aluminium swing arms and wheels on performance oriented bikes for their looks. Even higher end cars get forged aluminum suspension components to reduce unsprung weight. Hooking 20lb of stuff to the moving suspension components of a bike is not the best way to carry it unless looks are more important that the ride. If it was me I would consider soft saddle bags or a tank bag instead for carrying gear.

I'm guessing bags like this originated in the days when motorcycles had no rear suspension so adding weight there would not have had a negative effect on unsprung weight.

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-11-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

The road out of Oatman isn't as bad as the Baja 1000, but isn't well maintained either.
If I was going to ride at the bike's limit, I wouldn't be carrying any luggage. In fact I would be on a cafe racer if that was the way I wanted to ride.
A touch of the rebound switch on my Shotgun does wonders for rough roads.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

garageleathers, or leather works, leatherworks has a pretty cool buckle, dr can hook you up good price on garageleathers solo

Quick Reply: Which Swingarm Bag To Get