Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im defeated fellas...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011 | 05:28 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
2001 I think you have the Magnetti Marelli ECM fuel injection system? If so there are big issues with the ISCA (idle speed control actuator). Check to see if you do have the MM system. I think HD started using Delphi in 2002. But I could be wrong.

One other think that can cause issues with MM EFI is corrosion on all of the ECM & fuse & relay contacts so clean all the connector plug contacts on the ECU and sensor plugs located under the side cover with a good electronics contact cleaner and lube with dielectric grease (permatex) . Then pull the 35 pin plug off the ECU and inspect the contacts. Then clean and lube with dielectric grease. Do all the fuse box connections and any connections located under the seat. Then try again.

Also, try disconnecting the battery to the bike for 15-20 minutes and then allow the ECM to relearn.

If all fails...I would try a new ISCA (idle speed control actuator).
Think thats the answer, idle speed control they had issues with them after a few years

Old 05-06-2011 | 05:33 PM
LA VIC
Road Master

Originally Posted by bbeavers76
2001 FLSTCI

I am having some issues with the sled. I will start with symptoms and end with what I have checked and/or replaced to this point with NO success.

It seems to me that it is not getting enough fuel. She will cut out at idle. Makes a hissing sound and will shoot a small bit of white smoke out the A/C when it dies. I can keep her running if I baby the throttle. PAIN IN THE @$$. When I try to start her back up I get a bad grinding noise at times. Sometimes it will start right back up. But then die again at idle. When I go heavy on the throttle in gear she will bog down. Like I am starving her. Every once in awhile on the hwy I will be cruising and she will all the sudden run perfect. I can slam on the throttle and she will run like a bat outa hell. Then soon back to having to baby the throttle at the first point of idle.

I have replaced:
Fuel filter
Fuel Regulator
Fuel Lines
Fuel Pump
Spark Plugs

I have checked:
Injectors (removed and cleaned)
consistant spark
Plugs are white (lean)

WTF!!!!!!!! Help please gentleman.
When you say fuel lines does that include inside the fuel tank as well? The smallest pin hole can drastically effect how the bike runs. Happened to a friend of mine on a trip a couple years back. Small chafe hole probably .080" had the bike spitting, surging and back firing.

Old 05-06-2011 | 06:22 PM
lowflight
Advanced

This might sound "crazy", but, I had a very similar problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.....it was the crank position sensor.

Just a thought.....

Old 05-06-2011 | 06:29 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I'm not saying how I know, but if you try to start the bike with only one plug wire on, it will do the very same thing. Blowing a puff of smoke out the air cleaner and everything... Any chance it's only firing on one cylinder?

Old 05-06-2011 | 07:46 PM
bbeavers76
|
Road Captain

crank position sensor and ISCA are next. Didn't think of that. Thanks fellas. Checked and lubed all connections, ECM, and fuses. Ill keep you posted.

Old 05-06-2011 | 07:50 PM
bbeavers76
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LA VIC
When you say fuel lines does that include inside the fuel tank as well? The smallest pin hole can drastically effect how the bike runs. Happened to a friend of mine on a trip a couple years back. Small chafe hole probably .080" had the bike spitting, surging and back firing.
Yeah bro, both inner lines in the tank I have replaced. My first thought was the ole pin hole trick.

Last edited by bbeavers76; 05-06-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2011 | 11:33 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

intake manifold leak?

Old 05-07-2011 | 12:23 PM
KUJOE
Cruiser

J hade the same problem.... Remaping solve the problem