Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big a pain is this to fix ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How big a pain is this to fix ?

Ok, a few weeks ago my bike was cutting out and sputtering when the fuel got to less than 1/4 tank but the fuel light never came on. Originally we all thought I had a pin hole in the line or maybe bad fuel pump. Just got the bike back from the indy shop who checked out everything. He said no hole and fuel pump is fine. But he ran the bike down to fumes and no fuel light came on, so that sounds like that is part of the problem. Whats involved with fixing the fuel light ?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure, but why didn't you ask the indy?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Sounds like you need to adjust the float in the tank as that sends the signal to the fuel light. I have the opposite problem right now where the light comes on with 2 1/2 gallons left in the tank. Taking it back to the shop as they just put the tank back together after the new clear coat was done.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

shop manual might help also. or as above said Ask the wrench.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If an EFI fuel level sending unit is anything like the carbed model it's right there on top. Real easy to change...just like a GM truck. I wouldn't take that job to a shop unless you're worried about getting fuel on the paint.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's mine...

But it's a carbed bike. I'm not sure how the EFI ties in to this but I wouldn't think it's much more complicated.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Here's mine...

But it's a carbed bike. I'm not sure how the EFI ties in to this but I wouldn't think it's much more complicated.
On an EFI bike it's a separate module but basically the same. only difference is that it clamps to the center on the inside of the tank and is not attached to the cover.

Not that difficult at all to replace, but if you open up the tank you're supposed to get a new gasket and 10 new screws to replace the ones you removed. Also there is a sequence in torquing them down to prevent leaks.

I have a 2009 bike which is a bit different from yours in how it all bolts up in there. Biggest problem I had was detaching the hoses from the pump.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default fuel

A word of caution i had a problem with my fuel gauge as discribed above the float needed to be adjusted. when the tech removed the uhit i guess to bend the rod on the float . I am watching this from the other side of a glass window.I then see him pulling off the seat of the bike and then getting the manual out at this point i know its not good. he then comes over and ask me if i had a code displaying on the console. i replied no. well 18 days later i got my bike back he arced the unit some how while removing it and shorted the whole harness out. I would difinetally remove the ground wire befoire attempting any of this. its like hitting the lotto every now and then someone wins or looses in this case.I am glad i was there watching this or my stealer would have made up some kind of story to try and stick me with a charge

Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok talked to the indy shop some more, he said he did adjust the float as he said it did appear to be bent. He then siphoned all the gas out and then put 2 gallons to check and it worked after he adjusted. he then ran gas down to fumes basically and still no light. he said messing with the fuel light thing was a pita and ride it to see if it would come on. He mainly builds custom bikes and does service on the side. thinking he was just tired of messing with it

Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
MilwaukeeMike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here on my pre-owned 2004 Heritage FLSTCI. My float is messed up...needle always goes to Full at startup and stays there. I knew I was getting low on gas, but I wanted to find out if the low fuel light would work. NOPE.

Ran out tonight while cruising around the neighborhood after putting 186 miles. Roughly 37.2 mpg. Will probably improve that number a bit as time goes on...I just started riding 2 weeks ago.