Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insight from x-bones&fatboy owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 PM
AjAnd3rson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insight from x-bones&fatboy owners

Hey fellas,

Been lurking for several months and finally decided to join the forum….

Love all the insight and knowledge floating around so I figure it’s my turn to ask for some help……

It’s time for a new bike.

I’ve been on and off metrics for a long time and finally got smart enough to land on a HD.

I have been looking at a bones for the longest time now and can’t seem to pull the trigger.

All I hear from locals is how much they hate the bones (ride comfort) and how I need to get a fatty.

I’m just looking for some opinions from other big riders….

I’m 6’7” 350 (built like an out of shape NFL lineman) with a 32" inseam. I carry all my height in my torso.

People keep telling me that I’ll be way more comfortable on a fat boy but the X-bones keeps calling my name.

Any advice????

BTW.....

I'm already planning on throwing apes on what ever I get

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
darksidebones
Cruiser

im 5'8 300lbs and ride a crossbones. with a different seat and apes im real comfortable on it. with that said if the fatboy lo was out when i bought my bones i would have bought that in a heartbeat just for the simple ease of finding more parts....specificly handlebars. IMO you cant go wrong with either one. PS have you looked at any touring bikes like a roadking or anything? just throwing that out there. hope this helps, enjoy.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Bullbutch
Cruiser

Im 6'5 270lbs and am the proud owner of a 2011 Bones. The fatboy was right next to her but the Bones is bad ***!!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own the fatboy but also love the looks of the xbones so I rented one for a day...put a couple hundred miles on it and was shocked at how comfortable it was...never got fatigued in any way....wish I had both...I may before it's all over.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
meatsack
Banned

I call BS on your locals "comfort" issues....the bones is a VERY comfortable bike to ride. It's like a floating couch.

Don't listen to anyone...ride them both and decide for yourself.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
jharanin
Road Master

Not sure if I'll be any help but I'll throw this out there. I just picked up a xbones and have been riding a Street Glide since 07. I've only ridden the XBones a few hundred miles but I was really surprised how comfortable it was...didn't give up the glide wanted that for long hauls...but digg'n the XBones for everything else. It's got a Badlander seat on it now, my plan is to do some stuff over the winter...going to enjoy it the way it is for now.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
spoonie
Tourer

I'm 5'11 and 260. I love my bonz. That said I could not stand the stock seat. felt like I was gonna fall off the bike. I put the 1925 originaal solo seat on and it is a different ride. I sit lower and much more comfortably. It is now an all day ride.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

AJ,
I own the Crossbones and ride 2 different Fatboys (owned by my brothers). Comfort can ALWAYS be addressed with a seat or bar change, or both. I will tell you what I tell everyone that asks my advice about which type of HD they should buy, "the right Harley for you is the one that SPEAKS to you", IT will choose YOU, YOU don't choose IT. Your answer is in the last sentence of your post, your new XBones is calling to you.

BTW, Spoonie is right about that 'uneasy' feeling about falling backwards! One of the endearing qualities about the XB is that it can sometimes feel like you are riding a fencepost at 60mph. I enjoy those periodic 'flashbacks' to the 1940's style bikes. My second seat is a Badlander (lowers my *** plus gives me 2-up capacity) but now I HAVE to look into that 1925 solo seat, it looks awsome.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you don't want to hear it but,,,,,, at 6'7'' you might want to look at the road king or any touring frame. It's a bigger framed bike and your a big guy. I'm 5'10'' 225 and ride a fatboy and love it. Whew!!! 6'7''!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the post about the touring bike. But....for them to say you'd be more comfortable on a fatboy is retarded. Both are softails. I am willing to bet the ride ain't that much different. I have ridden a fatboy, just felt like a different set of bars and front end....not more or less comfortable though....

Quick Reply: Insight from x-bones&fatboy owners