Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the seat post?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no way that piece of bent sheetmetal will support any weight. Sorry but I can't see that was the issue that caused a break in the frame. I think they are BSing you on that most likely a poor weld to begin with

Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
There is no way that piece of bent sheetmetal will support any weight. Sorry but I can't see that was the issue that caused a break in the frame. I think they are BSing you on that most likely a poor weld to begin with
Agreed...

Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
no probs on my '07 nt without the "coil holder" aka seat post...no need to remove oil bag...

mreed mods bikes, as far as i know mostly sportsters (he owns like 5 right?), doin his own fab work and paint...he's got great skills and knowledge, and has shared them with fellow forum brothers in the sporty section...guess it's my way of saying welcome to the softy section and thanks
Right on, thanks!

Yeah, sometimes I feel like "Hello, my name is Mike and I build Sportsters". I love Sportsters. Always will but that's not all I do. I picked up bikes as a hobby a few years ago just to get away from the daily grind and still stay in the garage. I have 6 Sportsters (2 that are actually my wife's), Shovel, FXR (80"), a couple Suzuki's and a Royal Enfield board tracker.

Bikes only take up a corner of my garage.

But I'm a fabricator. I build cars with my dad here.

We get along well and our garages at home are pretty much full so we decided to build a garage together somewhere away from the shop. Way out in the country away from people. And that's where I mess around with bikes. I also have a couple other non-bike projects going on there as well.

Here's a shot from my big bike lift.

The green & white 56 is mine. Almost done with that one!

The other 2 are my dad's. Except for my little pile behind the SC/Rambler. That's my 55 project.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about the pic... It was reduced from another pic so I guess it won't enlarge. Reach along the square spine frame piece just behind the gas tank... where this meets with the extended tab of the round frame from the rear there is a weld... where this weld went from the tab to the round piece is where it cracked. That post was put there for a reason... and that reason was not just to hold the coil. Good luck to the rest of you who have removed it...

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Right on, thanks!

Yeah, sometimes I feel like "Hello, my name is Mike and I build Sportsters". I love Sportsters. Always will but that's not all I do. I picked up bikes as a hobby a few years ago just to get away from the daily grind and still stay in the garage. I have 6 Sportsters (2 that are actually my wife's), Shovel, FXR (80"), a couple Suzuki's and a Royal Enfield board tracker.

Bikes only take up a corner of my garage.

But I'm a fabricator. I build cars with my dad here.

We get along well and our garages at home are pretty much full so we decided to build a garage together somewhere away from the shop. Way out in the country away from people. And that's where I mess around with bikes. I also have a couple other non-bike projects going on there as well.

Here's a shot from my big bike lift.

The green & white 56 is mine. Almost done with that one!

The other 2 are my dad's. Except for my little pile behind the SC/Rambler. That's my 55 project.

Love that garage. Only in my dreams.