Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode US129 "Tail of the Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be doing this less than two weeks from today. Riding from Colorado to Washington DC to pay tribute to a fallen brother at National Police Week. Taking Skyline Drive from Front Royal all the way down the Blue Ridge Parkway and finishing with the Dragon around the 16th. Hope we have better weather than the trip last year. We skipped this ride due to severe weather but are committed to doing it this year regardless...

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Brenn.. PM Sent

Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

If you ride the Cherohala, also... then go on down through Turtle Town to Ducktown. There's a place there called the Ocoee River Inn. Unbelievable prices, great place to stay. Free breakfast at the gas/food/restaurant place in front of the inn. It's right at the intersection of 68 and 64 and 64 is a great way to head back north. There are roads to ride all over the place there. Easy to wear out a set of brake pads, that's for sure. You can go up to Cashiers on 64 and cut back over to Nantahala Park... or go on 74 instead, then cut through to Cashiers via Aquone and continue up 64. Or go just a tad bit further on 74 to Wayah Road then take Otter Creek road. You won't believe it... I promise.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you check out the website for Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson (In Maryville, TN... they have 3 stores named that in the area). They have a HUGE outdoor area, called The Shed, with a lot of events. They have live shows, parties, etc... They even have some big name music artist's from time to time. Once up on The Dragon, just take your time, and enjoy the ride. There will be some crazy people there every time, and they think they are qualifying for a race. Let them just go around you, and then you may see them a couple minutes later, after they have plowed their bike into the side of the mountain. As others have stated, make sure you check out the Cherohala Skyway. It is a gorgeous ride, and can't be missed. I have posted 2 pics to wet your whistle. If you have time, check out the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, etc... There is a cool little ride in the National Park, called Cades Cove loop. It is a couple miles long, but as you can guess by the name, it is a giant loop. There are deer, bears, birds, and other animals around in the open fields. There are also old buildings (Church's, school, homes, etc...) that you can look at as well, from back in the day of the early settlers. It's really a cool area. There is camping available too near Cades Cove. Ummm.... Indian Bound Lake is up around the Skyway, and is a beautiful site to see. Just some ideas, and there is TONS more to do... the list goes on. Enjoy the ride, and let us know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Rode US129 "Tail of the Dragon"-cherohala-skyway.jpg   Rode US129 "Tail of the Dragon"-cherohala-skyway-2.jpg  

Last edited by Night Stalker; 05-03-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

nice pictures. my wife and i have rode down there the last two years we really love the area.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah... I was really spoiled growing up in Maryville, TN. All that excellent riding, just a couple minutes down the road.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Me and the Shovelhead crew road the Dragon 10 days ago. Judging but the fact you had a great time and didn't slip and slide threw the 300 plus turns, I have to assume all the oil they leaked on the road must have cleared away by the time you got there.
Yes, the Dragon is definitely something we all should try at least once. Congrats on your journey.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer

I guess the Shovelhead oil is long gone. We hooked up good. I finished putting on a new rear Dunlop an hour before we left home.

I agree 100%.... every biker needs to make a trip thru the area. I can't believe I've lived 5-6 hours away for almost 38 years, and this was my first time to ride a bike on the Dragon.

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Me and the Shovelhead crew road the Dragon 10 days ago. Judging but the fact you had a great time and didn't slip and slide threw the 300 plus turns, I have to assume all the oil they leaked on the road must have cleared away by the time you got there.
Yes, the Dragon is definitely something we all should try at least once. Congrats on your journey.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool pics! I will be up there this Friday to get in 10 days of good riding. Just put on a new set of shoes on the old girl, now all I have to do is get up there so I can wear them out.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

When i ride up there i feel small....All of mother natures creations are so awesome....try to get up there at least twice a year...

Quick Reply: Rode US129 "Tail of the Dragon"