Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Red Eye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried a different brand of oil? Different oil brands, even though the same specs can make a clutch feel totally different.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
putergod
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Whats the bike's milage and how many miles since last clutch adjustment? Wouldnt run out and buy anything just yet until convinced its still not just out of adjustment.
It's got about 13k on it. I have no idea when it was last adjusted before my atempt this weekend.
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
The two step adjustment has to be done in sequence.

It has always been my understanding that the first thing you do is let out some cable "slack" by loosening the clutch cable. It must be just loose, not totally unscrewed from at the adjusting point.

You then loosen the clutch locking nut and adjust the pushrod to make contact with the clutch release and back it off a proper amount of turning outward. Manual say only a 1/2 turn, moving away from contacting the clutch release... not tightening it in, but back it off! Then set the locking nut.

Next is taking the slack out of the cable to the point of only having about 1/8 of an inch movement (play) of the clutch lever before it pulls the cable. You will feel the pull getting harder when it's making contact with the clutch release.

These adjustments should give you about a 2" travel before full release / engagement of the clutch.

Things that can go wrong ... a stretched or damaged cable. And not setting the pushrod exactly right ... that is if everything else in in good working order prior to the cable adjust issue.

I hope all this help gets you back on the road!!!
I had to screw the cable adjust "in" to loosen the cable. After I followed the instructions on adjusting the clutch, I tried to tighten the cable up by screwing it "out". I did see the handle pull in torwards the perch, but it never got as close a an 1/8 inch. About a 1/4 inch (if that close) was the closest it got, and that was with the adjuster screw all the way out to the point the two halfs werent threaded together anymore. I get close to 1" of travel before I even feel resistance, and the handle is almost agaisnt the grip before it hits the friction point.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you may have done this??

start over-
slack the cable off a bit
open primary cover
loosen the lock nut and slack off the adjusting screw
tighten the adjusting screw untill you feel resistance
tighten the lock nut
SQUEEZE THE CLUTCH LEAVER A FEW TIMES- sets the ball & ramp
adjust the cable to 1/8" play

Colin

Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,977 Likes on 4,169 Posts

Sounds like to me your clutch cable is some improperly made or not correct for your bike. Once the clutch is adjusted(1/2 turn of free play) there should be plenty of adjustment in the cable length to get 1/16-1/8 lever play. Have seen were in replacing the cable someone managed to get the ramp on the right side of the transmission indexed wrong.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to give credit to the O/P for following all of these instructions, and possibly having done it 5 or 6 times now. And still coming up a few inches too long.

From reading all of this I think the used cable has stretched.

I had the same issue with a cable stretching out. It was snapping strands off up by the brake lever while out on a ride, and by the time I was close to home it had 3 strands holding it. The cable had stretched to where it would not release the clutch. I was very lucky to be so close to home that day. Dealer cost was around $35 / 40.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM
putergod
Intermediate

Need some more advise...
I got the clutch on, finally. I'll be doing the cable this weekend. With the bike on a jack, I can't seem to get it to shift into first or second. It wont downshift lower than third. I was trying to put it into neutral and that's how i found it it wasn't downshift all the way. What could cause this? It wasn't doing this before I removed the clutch.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
gbody805
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by putergod
Need some more advise...
I got the clutch on, finally. I'll be doing the cable this weekend. With the bike on a jack, I can't seem to get it to shift into first or second. It wont downshift lower than third. I was trying to put it into neutral and that's how i found it it wasn't downshift all the way. What could cause this? It wasn't doing this before I removed the clutch.

Thanks!
Are you trying to shift down with the bike running or off?
If it's not running, try moving the rear wheel forward with you hand as you shift with the other.
After I replaced my inner primary I found the bike would not go into lower gears without moving the wheel a bit.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
putergod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbody805
Are you trying to shift down with the bike running or off?
If it's not running, try moving the rear wheel forward with you hand as you shift with the other.
After I replaced my inner primary I found the bike would not go into lower gears without moving the wheel a bit.
And this is why forums are the greatest thing since sliced bread!! TY TY TY! That fixed'er right up!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Make sure that the throw out bearing is of. Had the same problem on a buddies bike . Throw out bearing came apart. 15 dollars later it was good to go