Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone school me on forward controls.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
w0mps
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone school me on forward controls.

Well, I'll start off by saying that I have an 02 FXST and I am 6'2". I like to stretch my legs out and ride, but my heels have been slipping off the foot pegs. Ideally I'd like to move these pegs and shifter,brake assembly's forward about 4-6" to be totally comfortable. Is this a huge deal? I've heard forward controls, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the stock pegs/assembly and forward controls.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off... welcome to the boards! There is a lot of info to be found here. Now, to your question. Forward controls basically move your pegs, shifter lever, & brake lever forward on your bike. Doing this accommodates the taller rider, or even just the rider looking for a different riding position. Most kits come with all necessary brackets, hardware, pegs, levers, linkages, etc... There are kits available that use your stock pegs, shifter, & brake pedal. They just give you new brackets that move everything forward, and they also come with longer shift linkages. There are TONS of options out there. Best thing to do is decide what you are looking to spend, and go from there. Let us know what you decide.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:24 PM
w0mps
2nd Gear

Can you post a picture of a HD without forward controls? It seems like everyone I've ever seen has forward controls?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM
w0mps
2nd Gear

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
w0mps
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Night Stalker
First off... welcome to the boards! There is a lot of info to be found here. Now, to your question. Forward controls basically move your pegs, shifter lever, & brake lever forward on your bike. Doing this accommodates the taller rider, or even just the rider looking for a different riding position. Most kits come with all necessary brackets, hardware, pegs, levers, linkages, etc... There are kits available that use your stock pegs, shifter, & brake pedal. They just give you new brackets that move everything forward, and they also come with longer shift linkages. There are TONS of options out there. Best thing to do is decide what you are looking to spend, and go from there. Let us know what you decide.
Don't even know what the prices are like. Nothing more than like $500?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You already have forwards on your bike. Welcome to the softail section. Youc an get a set of forward control extensions. I think 3" are the longest extensions made but there might be some 4" ones. Get some Kury pegs and heel rests and that will keep your feet in place along with the extensions. I can get you pricing on them if you PM or email me at DREW@DRVTWIN.COM

Drew

Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM
stef
Cruiser

Bikes, in general, have controls in one of two locations relative to the engine: either mid or forward. Your controls are forward. I suspect you are looking for forward "extensions" to move your controls even further forward. I have and recommend the Arlen Ness 3" extension kit. -stef

Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awwww.... he beat me to it. I was about to suggest getting in-touch with the Doc, and see what he can do for you. He is the man with the magic discount!

Like Drew stated, your bike already has the "Forward Controls". The only other factory option on these bikes is the "Mid-Controls". They put the pegs roughly in the middle of your Primary cover.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

As the Doc suggested, many make forward extensions, and they are available from many vendors online and at stores, and they are NO WHERE near that silly number you suggest, just search for 'forward control extension' and you will find a lot.
Of course you can always get to Drew who will hook you up as he does with most of the forum members on the south side of the border .

Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 AM
w0mps
2nd Gear

Thanks guys! Brings me back to the day joined my first Jeep forum 10 years ago!

I am really interested in the 3" extenders. Is 3" really going to make a BIG difference?

Quick Reply: Someone school me on forward controls.