Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console nut - won't loosen, won't tighten

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011 | 05:55 AM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Question Console nut - won't loosen, won't tighten

I've had the console off several times without issue - I did the speedo swap and a garage door mod.

Now I need to tweak the garage door opener (short range, probably needs a new battery), but the dang nut just turns without any additional loosening. The console seems secure on the bike, but it will also turn the other way without getting any tighter.

Any advice appreciated....

Old 05-01-2011 | 06:35 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I seem to remember the bolt the nut attaches to being like a carriage type bolt and sitting in a recess. It might have slipped out and is just turning with the nut.

You might try taking a small flat screwdriver of whatever will fit and slipping it between the dash and the nut and applying upward pressure while turning the nut. This might pull the head of the bolt up against the plate enough to cause it to stop turning.

Of course I could be wrong. I guess I could go out and take mine apart to see exactly whats in there that could be causing you a problem and maybe I will if that doesn't do it for ya.

Last edited by IronAss; 05-01-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2011 | 06:36 AM
challutz
Cruiser

Sounds like the other end of the bolt which is carriage type slipped out of the slot. Try pulling upward while turning to get it to engage back into the slot. If that doesnt work it may have to be cut off. I would use a dremel and protect evrything around it.

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:42 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
I seem to remember the bolt the nut attaches to being like a carriage type bolt and sitting in a recess. It might have slipped out and is just turning with the nut.

You might try taking a small flat screwdriver of whatever will fit and slipping it between the dash and the nut and applying upward pressure while turning the nut. This might pull the head of the bolt up against the plate enough to cause it to stop turning.

Of course I could be wrong. I guess I could go out and take mine apart to see exactly whats in there that could be causing you a problem and maybe I will if that doesn't do it for ya.
Update on this for anyone who cares. Apparently the bolt is square at the base, and it goes into a square slot in a plate that sits on the tank.

Spoke with a tech at the dealer today, he says the bolt is probably rounded off at this point. He says he's repaired a few of them, basically they grind the nut off and replace the bolt.

When I asked how I could have prevented it, he said "don't take the console off so damn much!"

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:15 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Keithhu, it is highly unlikely that you rounded that part of the bolt unless it is a poor quality bolt. It is more likely that the bolt shifted out of the slot just as it has happened to many others here.

Old 05-17-2011 | 09:07 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
Keithhu, it is highly unlikely that you rounded that part of the bolt unless it is a poor quality bolt. It is more likely that the bolt shifted out of the slot just as it has happened to many others here.
Ok, could be. Either way, I'm going to pay them to grind the nut off and set it right, I dont have the time to f* with it, plus with my luck something more disastrous would result.

Old 05-18-2011 | 12:01 AM
Big H
Tourer

I have personally seen this on a couple bikes. Yes, the square head is a loose fit in some bikes and will spin if the console nut was tightened a few too many times. The best solution has already been discussed, protect everything and cut it off. Replacements are $5.