Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military riders, I've been waiting 25 years for somebody to sell this

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Military riders, I've been waiting 25 years for somebody to sell this

https://www.missinglnk.com/apparel/b...ty-vest---men/

Military riders, check the link. I actually thought about making something like this but didn't think I had the skills to make it look right. Saw the ad in American Iron and put it on order as soon as I got home.

I've always hated the reflective vest rules. Everything else about military motorcycle safety programs is tolerable. I recognize the vest rules for what they are -- harassment and the attempt to "de-glamorize" riding by making us look like tools.

Retired SMSgt

Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
CT-Mike
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder if the rules have changed recently. The Submarine Base in Groton told me that vests were now only required after dark, and not required by retired military folks like myself at all.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,953 Likes on 4,700 Posts

That's pretty freakin sweet! I'm a civilian now but I work on White Sands Missile Range and an upper body garment with reflective material is required by all persons riding a motorcycle after dark. Sitting the day it's a light color garment, to exclude my uniform. Being my ride is 55mi one way I have a lot of road to cover in my stupid orange vest. Problem is at 2am back in the city I have dodged more than one drunk driver that couldn't seem to take their eyes off me. I like this. I may very well consider it as an option.

thank you for posting.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CT-Mike
I wonder if the rules have changed recently. The Submarine Base in Groton told me that vests were now only required after dark, and not required by retired military folks like myself at all.
I think there are numerous conflicting rules on the vests -- different commands and different bases. In Japan, they are very strict about it at all US military bases I've visited. I heard retirees in HI challenged the vest rule and won.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts

Just curious, what's the rule?

Reflective vest during active duty? Retirement? How can they tell you what to do when you're retired?

Sorry to Hijack, just curious.

H

Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Rules haven't changed for military riders & civilians...must wear contrasting color during day riding & reflective vest at night. I have a black bike & wear red mesh jacket to work. Put on the ICON mil-spec vest at night.

This vest is nice, but spendy - I'll stick w/ICON vest. The orange actually doesn't look bad (similar to HD orange). At least it gives military riders another option.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Just curious, what's the rule?

Reflective vest during active duty? Retirement? How can they tell you what to do when you're retired?

Sorry to Hijack, just curious.

H
Many bases say you can't ride on base without a reflective orange or yellow vest. Active/retired/civilian status may or may not matter depending on the command. Some commands take it further and tell active duty guys that if they get injured off base without a vest they will get burned.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Rules haven't changed for military riders & civilians...must wear contrasting color during day riding & reflective vest at night. I have a black bike & wear red mesh jacket to work. Put on the ICON mil-spec vest at night.

This vest is nice, but spendy - I'll stick w/ICON vest. The orange actually doesn't look bad (similar to HD orange). At least it gives military riders another option.
I have the same ICON vest but I don't have bags like your Street Glide. I don't have any place to stash it when I'm off base. That's why I like this new vest. Just flip it and go.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seen the vest in AIM, but I seen the Harley one first:, Harley makes one also

The AF reg at least, says the Upper Outer Garment must be brightly colored during the day. and reflective at night. It's stupid, I could wear a bright long sleeve T-shirt during the day and drive down the Autobahn and be legal, but If I wear my black leather jacket I'm not.

Bright colors are mandatory, leather, kevlar, and cordura are optional. It doesn't make sense.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks like a pretty good idea, military or not.

Unfortunately, I think the Army says you have to wear the "brightly colored garment" (reflective at night) on post or off and:

Failure to comply with Army regulations could result in my loss of motorcycle driving privileges. If I am involved in a motorcycle accident and it is found that I have violated the regulation, I could be held liable for all medical costs that I incur as a result of that accident. If I loose my life, and found to have violated the UCMJ, My survivors could be denied my SGLI benefits.
http://www.wsmr.army.mil/PDF/motorcy...tyhandbook.PDF

Quick Reply: Military riders, I've been waiting 25 years for somebody to sell this