Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military riders, I've been waiting 25 years for somebody to sell this

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FREEFALL
I did not think this thread would bring up so much inaccurate information on USMC regulations.
For those that think you must wear a reflective vest on a USMC installation, you are way out of touch.
The Marine Corps did away with the vest crap two years ago.
I recommend doing your homework before posting outdated info.

NOTE: The ACMC at the time was Gen Amos.
He is now Commandant....

S/F
Freefall

Subject: CHANGE TO MOTORCYCLE PPE REQUIREMENTS
Originator: CMC WASHINGTON DC SD(UC)
DTG: 071442Z May 09

--------------------------------------------------

UNCLASSIFIED//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC SD//
SUBJ/CHANGE TO MOTORCYCLE PPE REQUIREMENTS//
REF/A/21ST ESB 06MAY09//
REF/B/MCO/MCO 5100.19E MARINE CORPS TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM //
POC/GRACE J.D./COL/CMC SD/-/TELSN 224-1202/COMM (703)
614-1202/EMAIL: JAMES.D.GRACE@USMC.MIL//
RMRKS/1. PER REF A, ACMC HAS DIRECTED THE ELIMINATION OF COLOR AND REFLECTIVITY REQUIREMENTS APPLICABLE TO MOTORCYCLE OUTERWEAR AS SPECIFIED IN REFERENCE B. THIS EFFECTIVELY ELIMINATES THE REQUIREMENT TO WEAR A "MOTORCYCLE VEST" DURING DAY OR NIGHT AS WELL AS ANY QUANTIFICATION OF COLOR OR REFLECTIVITY REQUIREMENTS RELATED TO MOTORCYCLE OUTERWEAR. CORRESPONDING CHANGES TO REF B ARE FORTHCOMING AND WILL CODIFY THE FOLLOWING:

A. SECTION 2007.C(1)(F) WILL BE REWRITTEN TO STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE WEARING OF ABRASION PROTECTIVE OUTERWEAR AND ENCOURAGE THE USE OF FLUORESCENT COLORS AND RETRO-REFLECTIVE MATERIAL APPROPRIATE TO RIDING CONDITIONS.

B. SECTION 1002.B. WILL BE REWRITTEN TO PROMOTE STANDARDIZATION OF MOTORCYCLE PPE REQUIREMENTS FOR MARINE RIDERS ACROSS MARINE INSTALLATIONS. SUBORDINATE COMMANDS SHOULD REVIEW THEIR ORDERS TO ENSURE CONSISTENCY WITH THE CHANGES TO REF B AND CONSIDER ELIMINATION OF REQUIREMENTS THAT ARE EXCESSIVE OR UNPROVEN IN THEIR EFFECTIVENESS. LOCAL REQUIREMENT VARIANCES SHALL NOT EXCLUDE MARINE RIDERS FROM BASE ACCESS WHEN THE RIDER'S TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT COMPLIANCE MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF REF B (AS MODIFIED).

C. REQUIREMENTS FOR HELMETS, GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, LONG SLEEVES, LONG TROUSERS, AND OVER ANKLE FOOTWEAR REMAIN IN EFFECT. THESE CHANGES ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO COLOR OR REFLECTIVITY REQUIREMENTS THAT MAY APPLY TO PEDESTRIANS, JOGGERS, BICYCLISTS, ETC.

2. ADDITIONALLY REF A TASKS ESB MEMBERS WITH REPORTING TO ACMC (VIA CMC-SD) REGARDING A POTENTIAL CHANGE TO REF B THAT WOULD MANDATE PROTECTIVE JACKETS FOR MOTORCYCLE RIDERS. THIS INPUT SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO CMC SD BY 07 JUNE 2009.

3. THESE CHANGES ARE THE DIRECT RESULT OF RECOGNITION OF MARINE RIDER'S INPUT AND THE OPINIONS OF SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS ON MULTIPLE FRONTS, AND PLACE GREATER RESPONSIBILITY ON OUR MARINE MOTORCYCLE RIDERS TO APPROPRIATELY MANAGE RISK IN THEIR SELECTION AND WEARING OF PPE.

4. QUESTIONS CONCERNING THIS MATTER SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO CMC SD.//
That was what I was wanting to reference. I carried that in my pocket once it was published but no longer have it readily available and could only reference the order which of course this changed. Knucklehead move on my part. Good post.

Last edited by USMC2010; 05-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Abu Kaos
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes most bases only require the Vest at night and i light colored long sleeve shrit is authorized during day light hours...another awsome rule that a non rider made. I would rather go down in a black leather jacket than a neon green shirt just because the driver got to see me before he cut me off. i think if more NCO just paid attetion to there joes and didnt let a 19 year old by a hyabusa for his first bike after a 15month deployment the accident rate would go down along with rule that force us to wear rediculous outfits....last i check my head light is alot brighter than my vest.
Originally Posted by deadeye
https://www.missinglnk.com/apparel/b...ty-vest---men/

Military riders, check the link. I actually thought about making something like this but didn't think I had the skills to make it look right. Saw the ad in American Iron and put it on order as soon as I got home.

I've always hated the reflective vest rules. Everything else about military motorcycle safety programs is tolerable. I recognize the vest rules for what they are -- harassment and the attempt to "de-glamorize" riding by making us look like tools.

Retired SMSgt

Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Abu Kaos
Novice
Talking

Yes most bases only require the Vest at night and i light colored long sleeve shrit is authorized during day light hours...another awsome rule that a non rider made. I would rather go down in a black leather jacket than a neon green shirt just because the driver got to see me before he cut me off. i think if more NCO just paid attetion to there joes and didnt let a 19 year old by a hyabusa for his first bike after a 15month deployment the accident rate would go down along with rule that force us to wear rediculous outfits....last i check my head light is alot brighter than my vest.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Abu Kaos
Novice

yes as hard as it is to admit the Marine corps did it right i live in Hawaii I work on an Army post but live in coast gaurd housing and have to drive through navy instalations to get to the NEX all the rules for each branch are different hopefully the army Realizes motorcycle atire is better than bright shirts