Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military riders, I've been waiting 25 years for somebody to sell this

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
That looks like a pretty good idea, military or not.

Unfortunately, I think the Army says you have to wear the "brightly colored garment" (reflective at night) on post or off and:

http://www.wsmr.army.mil/PDF/motorcy...tyhandbook.PDF
That's right, but somehow, for US military in Japan, it is interpreted as always wear a reflective vest day or night. The threat of losing benefits is real but only for active duty. Personally, I think its an empty threat but I've heard the threat for many years. I've also seen people injured while drunk driving that got medical retirement and benefits...

Last edited by deadeye; 05-01-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
HEMI Army
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear my trusty reflective belt since they must be bullet proof as they make us wear walking down the street of US bases in Afghanistan (Anyone ever been to Bagram Air Field?) But seriously it is the minimum amount acceptable that I can just throw on over uniform to get me on post. That's the only time I wear it.

As far as not being covered in case of an accident, I have never seen it mentioned in any of the Preliminary Loss Reports they send out anytime there is a MC fatality. They do all mention of they were wearing a helmet and if it was DOT. Also always mention MSF training and whether they had attended.

That vest posted is kind of cool though. I can definetly see that filling a need.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Viking66
Cruiser

I wear one of these jackets: https://shop.lvhd.com/productimages/97205_10VM_WH.jpg

I am Retired, and a CIV on a Navy Base. That vest is pretty cool, but I hate wearing long sleeves, which on my base is a requirement. So with this jacket I can wear short sleeve shirts, and just slip this jacket on to meet that requirement.

It has contrasting colors, and reflective letters for use at night. Being mesh it is not hot even in 85 deree weather.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Following up - I just received the Missing Link vest and it is very nice and high quality. I ordered a size larger so I could wear it over a jacket and it fits great on top of my jacket or on its own. Now when I ride off base I can be instantly transformed from flaming D-Bag to regular A-Hole.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Cav Cop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I work as a police officer off base from Fort Hood. Anytime the Military gets wind/word of a motorcycle wreck with a active member a safety team goes out to investigate off base. They ask about helmet, eye pro, gloves, long sleeves, boots, and safety markings on clothes. I know they even go to Dallas and Austin for reported wrecks to get info.

My Agency as well as others were told to call the PMO anytime we stop an Active Duty member who is not in proper safety gear. My agency just enforces state law, but if you are an ars or have a wreck, you will be reported and I know a few UCMJ actions that have been taken on E-3's to E-7's and O-1's to O-4's (higher ranks never called to testify on).

The Military has a few issues, high fatality death count due to bad riders, high cost for injuries caused by bad riders, loss of soldiers to perform paid job or deploy when needed, to many soldiers and they want to make cuts on those who have a few years in.

I still serve in the Guard, and at drill's we have to wear safety gear if in uniform. I have never brought my bike on base, but do have the DOD tags on it just in case.

On a side note I have seen a few guys wear black vests with white refective markings on base and it seems to meet the requirements. I have read the rules on Fort Hood, and what they say is bright clothing durring day time, but they expect a vest/jacket/back pack set up on you.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM
RedBen
Cruiser

The current Navy rules are long sleeves, full fingered gloves, DOT helmet, eye protection, and over the ankle footwear during the day. Reflective vest/clothing at night. That said, individual bases or regions may make this more restrictive, which may be the reason for the different rules in Japan.

By the way, I know the Navy and Marine Corps lose a lot more sailors and marines in automobile accidents than in motorcycle accidents, but there is no required driving training.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cav Cop
FWIW I work as a police officer off base from Fort Hood. Anytime the Military gets wind/word of a motorcycle wreck with a active member a safety team goes out to investigate off base. They ask about helmet, eye pro, gloves, long sleeves, boots, and safety markings on clothes. I know they even go to Dallas and Austin for reported wrecks to get info.

My Agency as well as others were told to call the PMO anytime we stop an Active Duty member who is not in proper safety gear. My agency just enforces state law, but if you are an ars or have a wreck, you will be reported and I know a few UCMJ actions that have been taken on E-3's to E-7's and O-1's to O-4's (higher ranks never called to testify on).

The Military has a few issues, high fatality death count due to bad riders, high cost for injuries caused by bad riders, loss of soldiers to perform paid job or deploy when needed, to many soldiers and they want to make cuts on those who have a few years in.

I still serve in the Guard, and at drill's we have to wear safety gear if in uniform. I have never brought my bike on base, but do have the DOD tags on it just in case.

On a side note I have seen a few guys wear black vests with white refective markings on base and it seems to meet the requirements. I have read the rules on Fort Hood, and what they say is bright clothing durring day time, but they expect a vest/jacket/back pack set up on you.
I should have made it more clear that this is really a solution for retired military, government civilians, and contractors who have to comply with safety vest rules on base.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
FREEFALL
Road Master

FYI

The Marine Corps has removed all reflective and bright color requirements (on and off base, day and night).
That covers all Marine Corps installations world wide.

Granted, we have to abide by the local base rules when riding on Navy, Army and Air Force bases.

S/F
Freefall

Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FREEFALL
FYI

The Marine Corps has removed all reflective and bright color requirements (on and off base, day and night).
That covers all Marine Corps installations world wide.

Granted, we have to abide by the local base rules when riding on Navy, Army and Air Force bases.

S/F
Freefall
I know they are working on changing the Air Force regs as well, I just hope they follow your lead, and ease up a little.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 AM
bucholj
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sgt Sportster
I know they are working on changing the Air Force regs as well, I just hope they follow your lead, and ease up a little.
Any good intel on the AF reg changes???

Quick Reply: Military riders, I've been waiting 25 years for somebody to sell this