Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention LEO'S. Am I going to the slammer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

My opinion is shoot first ask questions later and only if the widow really wants to know.....hahahahahaha

Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep all of your receipts to show where you purchased the tranny. Only our Auto Theft Div. would take the time to check all the numbers on a scoot. If by some strange event, that state trooper who made another forum member tow his bike due to his helmet and apes stops you, then I would be worried.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what I was worried about... My 21st trip to Sturgis this summer. Somehow I think they would spend the time. On a high note, I spent the night in jail there, 1990. So in a way it would be home away from home... A liitle older, a little wiser...my golden rule now is to stay in camp at night. The boogey men come out at night.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have any concerns call your State Trooper/State Police headquarters. Tell them you bought a used Harley transmission and ask them to run the number through NCIC. If it were ever reported stolen, they will let you now. Not all serial numbers get ground off from stolen items. I really don't think you have anything to worry about but this will give you peace of mind.

There have been some extremely isolated cases where task forces have recovered stolen items which had changed hands several times over decades, but the odds of this are awfully slim.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
aquaelvis
Tourer

I would call the local PD and have the number run, just to be on the safe side. It doesn't really matter that you have a reciept, you would still have stolen property on your bike. Will the DA pick up the case? NO! But, would it RUIN your trip? YES! (not to mention you'll loose the tranny- not just the case)
I have seen our gang guys and the auto theft guys check EVERY number on a bike. That is always in a chop shop or OMG thing though. (not a standard Joe Citizen out for a ride)

Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was at an event where they were checking the neck and engine numbers, but not the tranny.
A guy on here, a couple of years ago at a rally, posted about having his bike impounded for 9 days, while he got the proper documentation for the engine on his Harley.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You may very well end up in the penn. A sure fire way to get out of the charge is to immediately part out your bike and distribute the parts for free on HD Forums.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I never saw a cop smart enough to check numbers and know what he was looking at. One night, years ago, one stopped me late on a Monday night, I guess things were slow. He tlod me my chopper needed to have a builders title and a number stamped on my nicely molded Harley rigid frame. I told him no, it was a pre 70 so the engine number was all that was necessary. Pre 70s didn't use frame numbers.. He was going to impound it. I knew the guy who issued the builders titles for the state and told the cop he might be wise to call him, I had his home phone number on me. I told the cop to tell him who he had stopped and ask if I was legal. The cop grudgingly made the call, woke up my friend, then told me to have a nice night.

Another time, on that same bike one stopped me and startedd looking on the wrong side of the engine. I actually had to show him where to look and what to look for, he didn't have a clue, but he told me half of the Harleys on the road were stolen.

I haven't even had a cop glance at my numbers in recent years.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
County98
Tourer

Originally Posted by Northside
he didn't have a clue, but he told me half of the Harleys on the road were stolen.

Okay, that chit is funny, lol.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:28 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Northside
he didn't have a clue, but he told me half of the Harleys on the road were stolen.

If that were true there would be even more missing bodys for the attempts that failed.

Reminds me of Myrtle Beach SC. Every Bike Ralley there are freaks with trucks that pick up motorcycles using two 2by4s and 4 to 6 guys. They dump the bike in the back of the truck and take off.

5 dudes thought they would take Joe Blows bike while me and a group was at a stop sign. The Ex Army dude with us told me hey look at that. We rolled up, he pulled a Army type Berretta 9 MM out of his pants and asked them is it worth your lives? They left. Just imagine if it was one of our bikes the freaks were taking. Nawww there arent that many HD bikes stolen.

Last edited by csbreeze; 04-29-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Attention LEO'S. Am I going to the slammer?