Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing grips on my own for the first time any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
retdet1270
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing grips on my own for the first time any tips?

I'm installing Kuryakyn premium ISO grips on my 2010 Fatboy Lo. This is my first try at installing grips. I have read the directions and watched an installation video on youtube. Doesn't seem too complicated. Are their any tricks, anything to watch out for? Will I run into any problems not seen on video or in the directions. Any input is appreciated. 5000 miles on stock grips, I can't take anymore. Thx.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,953 Likes on 4,700 Posts

It's as strait forward as it looks. A little hand sanitizer squirted under the stock grips will help get them off though.

The ISO grips are super comfortable!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Hey retdet1270 - which video, got a link?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

use some emery cloth on the left grip to get the metal really clean

Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Don't use glue on the Left grip...regular old hairspray works better. Also, cereful for your brake light switch on the right grip/lever. Use small piece of cardboard, or plastic to hold it in place. Make sure you have snap ring pliers too...have fun.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMFG STOP!

For the love of all things sacred that glue Kuryakyn gives you is like cement, and it hardens in literally 2 seconds. No joke.

Please take my advice when i say, slide the grip on WITHOUT glue, reassemble your switches and lever housing and mark the measurement where the grip ends (mine actually did not need to slide all the way on to the bar, it was like 1/8" short).. and you need to make sure the lever and switch housing fits on right, which is another reason why you don't push the grip on 100% first time with glue..

ok..so you have your measurement, without moving the grip (sliding it off or pushing it further on), remove the switch housing and lever housing.. take a piece of painters tape and put it on the handle bar with a flat end against the grip. That way you know where to stop pushing when the grip is far enough on the bar. You'll notice on the rubber opening on the grip that there are 2 seams (slits in the rubber).. sit on your bike and rotate the grip so that your fingers are comfortable on the pads

When you have it facing the way you want, and it's pushed up flush against your tape, take a Sharpe and mark a line from that seam on to the tape (this way when you only have 2 seconds to get the grip on, it's oriented the right direction)..

Now you may smother the inside of the grip with the glue, take a deep breath and shove it on the handlebars. Good luck. If you fail, go out and buy a thin ice pick and start hacking away at the inside. it's a tedious process, but i had to remove and re-glue mine 3 times before i learned better.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Rossi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things must have reall changed since the 2002 Fat Boys, the trickiest part I ran into was the throttle cables (Wasnt tricky, just took it slow) Maybe I did it wrong, but they lasted for 8 years. Then again, they were stock grips, so I didnt waste any time trying to salvage them either. I'm betting you'll do fine since you did the research. Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Don't use glue on the Left grip...regular old hairspray works better. Also, cereful for your brake light switch on the right grip/lever. Use small piece of cardboard, or plastic to hold it in place. Make sure you have snap ring pliers too...have fun.
Why the need for snap ring pliers? You only need those if your going to change the levers. I don't recall needing them when I changed grips last week. And also I did not use any thing to glue the left grip once the housing is tightened it locks it in.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Why the need for snap ring pliers? You only need those if your going to change the levers. I don't recall needing them when I changed grips last week. And also I did not use any thing to glue the left grip once the housing is tightened it locks it in.
mine was the opposite..the left grip would spin around even with the housings tightened down..

Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of this to change grips?

I have done plenty of grips, including the ISO grips and never even thought about issues. I do agree with not using the glue that comes with it though. It is normally overkill squared. Go grab the ol' ladies hair spray and give a good spray in the grip before you slide it on the well cleaned and slightly roughed up left grip and you will be GTG.

Snap ring pliers? LOL

Quick Reply: Installing grips on my own for the first time any tips?