Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing grips on my own for the first time any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. a hair dryer set on "hot" will help break loose a stuck left grip. My replacement grips usually go on tight enough that I don't use any kind of adhesive.

2. Sweep the floor underneath and around the bike completely clean before starting your project. It will make it easier to find those little brass fittings that go on the ends of your throttle cables when you drop them. And you WILL drop them.
2A. Don't do this when you're in a hurry in case you get tired of hunting for the one you dropped and have to run to the bike shop to buy replacements.

3. Be careful when you reassemble the clamps once you have your new grips installed. Two problems are common.
1. Pinched wires. Make sure the wires are tucked into the dimpled channel of the handlebar before you tighten the screws. If your clamps don't tighten all the way or if you start blowing the 15A accessories fuse, you probably pinched at least one wire.
2. Front brake lever/light switch misalignment. There's a little pushbutton switch that comes out of your front master cylinder. It works like the light in your refrigerator--when you pull in the brake lever, the switch pops out and lights your brake light. When you put your front brake lever back on, give it a couple of pulls to make sure your brake light works. If it's stuck on, check that switch.

Last edited by Sharknose; 04-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
retdet1270
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Thanks to all for the GREAT info on the grips. I'll take it slow.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
snookie66
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a video that took a piece of wire, probably 14g. Take the length of your left grip and make a 'crank' much like they used to crank the old cars with. Work it into the grip and 'turn' the wire around the grip to loosen the glue. The old grip should come off with a little work. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Murderface
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Didnt have videos though.

Lesson learned from me: On the throttle side, take off the idle cable first, then the throttle. I used bobby pins the ensure the bead didnt slide down into the grip. That way I could take the grip off and not worry about holding things in place. Then slide the grip back on, cables go back on in reverse order, and youre done.