Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Octane Fuel Effects

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM
casadelray
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Octane Fuel Effects

About a month ago I noticed an oil leak coming out of my front jug. I finally got it to my indie a few days ago and he called me last night to tell me it's finished. Problem fixed, however, he stated the heads, combustion chamber and oil where all filthy. According to him, the oil & filter needed to be changed twice just to get it all cleaned out.

I just changed the oil & filter less than 700 miles ago, and I run Royal Purple. I would have expected synthetic to last slightly longer than 700 miles. The only thing I could correlate this to would be a change in our fuel octane on island. A few months ago AAFES gas stations on island went from mid-grade to 86 octane. I haven't had any issues with engine performance, so I continued using it. I trust the indie mechanic I use, he came highly rated around the island and used to work at the local HD dealer.

What is the general consensus, will the low grade create create more problems?

Haven't picked up the bike yet, but what if he went from synthetic to dino-juice? I've heard rumors about seals deteriorating, any truth or first hand info? Thanks to all-

Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should only put in premium fuel. It burns hotter and helps clean everything out. Plus you don't get the sluggish response that a low grade will give you. At most it's only 20 cent more a gallon so I hope an extra buck per tank aint gonna break ya

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

Long term use of a lower grade fuel can lead to problems. The lower grade fuel can detonate prematurely and can cause damage to bearings. Not to mention it doesn't burn as clean and causes carbon build up.

Right away you should notice sluggish response though.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

If all you can get is octane than add ,a small amount of octane boster to a full tank.ita $1 a bottle

Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use low grade fuel....thats all there is to it,,,,as for the seals,,,if they start to leak ,,,its not from the type of oil,,,if the type of oil caused seals to leak,,your car, truck, lawn mower, boat motor, and so on ,, would have problems too....

Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
casadelray
Advanced

Originally Posted by snook592
You should only put in premium fuel. It burns hotter and helps clean everything out. Plus you don't get the sluggish response that a low grade will give you. At most it's only 20 cent more a gallon so I hope an extra buck per tank aint gonna break ya
.20 cents more, I wish. Living overseas gets a little more expensive at the pump. I'm not even sure how much gas is off base right now for mid grade. I'm guessing at least 300-400 Yen per litter. So depending on the day, 4.50-5.00 per gallon.

Fuel additives, maybe. I'm not sure if they're available here, but until I've never looked.

Either way, my cost at the pump is going to get a little higher.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

I try to always fill up with Sunoco Ultra 93 octane, every so often while out on a long run I've had to settle for 92 octane with no real appreciable difference in performance, but once I get home I'll top it off with the Sunoco Ultra 93. I also run fuel stabilizer in every tank full, Star Tron helps to offset the ill effects of the E-10 (ethenol) additive in our fuels......

As for oils, I run nothing but Mobile 1, V-Twin 20W-50 in the motor, and primary, 75W-90 in the tranny......

Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Soop67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by casadelray
So depending on the day, 4.50-5.00 per gallon.

Either way, my cost at the pump is going to get a little higher.
Hate to say it brother, I am paying $4.27 a gallon for premium in the Seattle area. I see on the news it is even worse in California in places. I would do as others suggest and get an octane booster if you can. If low octane is indeed the cause of your problem.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 AM
canukcowboy
Intermediate

premium which is 91octane here is $1.48/L atm. thats about $5.92/ga i think and the closest station that sells it is 60miles away so i keep a few cans of it around so i dont have to fill with regular

Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 AM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey gas prices aren't that far off here in chicago. it's $4.60 a gallon for premium and thats in the burbs/country area around the city. it's over $5 in the city.

Quick Reply: Low Octane Fuel Effects