Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Octane Fuel Effects

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 AM
MadMINI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soop67
Hate to say it brother, I am paying $4.27 a gallon for premium in the Seattle area. I see on the news it is even worse in California in places. I would do as others suggest and get an octane booster if you can. If low octane is indeed the cause of your problem.
About $4.60 for 91 in SoCal.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
07FXSTOki
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Lately I've been filling up off base. Bike seems to run better with the "High Ock" or "Super" as the locals call it. Had a lot of popping when I used the gas from on base. The other day I got 12.12 liters at 148 yenns a liter pulse 90 yen tax for a total of 1,884 yen. That’s dam near 20 bucks for a little over three gallons!!! I'd try using an octane booster and see if that makes a difference for you. Me I'm just gonna pay the price.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 AM
casadelray
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FXSTOki
Lately I've been filling up off base. Bike seems to run better with the "High Ock" or "Super" as the locals call it. Had a lot of popping when I used the gas from on base. The other day I got 12.12 liters at 148 yenns a liter pulse 90 yen tax for a total of 1,884 yen. That’s dam near 20 bucks for a little over three gallons!!! I'd try using an octane booster and see if that makes a difference for you. Me I'm just gonna pay the price.
After reading what everyone else is paying in the states, I suppose we don't have it so bad here. Being in country for 7 years has made my base line for fuel prices slightly askew.

I found 2 types of octane boosters at the AAFES service station on Kadena. One was STP, the other Japanese. Never been to sure about using additives, I'll just need to become accustom to purchasing fuel off base.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know about your fuel quality but here in Michigan ALL our fuel is 10% ethanol. It's OK in newer cars but hell in bikes, boats and small engines. My brother owns a small engine shop and ethanol makes him a lot of money. My bike, boat, tractor and lawn equipment all get sta-bil marine ethanol fuel treatment. Now there is talk of E-15 for all grades here, god help us.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys... if you're going to throw out conjecture and false info please don't state it as if it fact. In internal combustion engines, the compressed gasoline-air mixtures have a tendency to ignite prematurely rather than burning smoothly. This creates engine knock, a characteristic rattling or pinging sound in one or more cylinders. The octane number of gasoline is a measure of its resistance to knock. High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

100% correct. Octane has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. Some states and countries change fuel for air quality. In my area we have winter and summer blends. Additive packages to increase octane differ from brands and areas. They make our summer blend so it doesn't "gas off" in the heat. I don't know what they do to it, but you can feel it is not as good as the winter stuff and you do lose a little mileage. Maybe Japan just has crap gas? Its all about emissions in cars, not how our bikes run.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Everything in Japan is good...lived there 20 years and would be back today if i could. And you guys down in Okinawa, thanks for what you do. My father was also there -- in 1945.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I run 87 octane fuel in my 99 EVO without problems. The sticker on my bike says use 87 or higher, and I have tried higher octane (93) and can tell no difference from the 87. My EVO is stock except for the pipes and air cleaner, and it may be that the EVO's are lower compression than the later Twin Cams. As a general rule, higher compression needs higher octane fuel, while lower compression can use lower octane. The higher the octane, the slower the burn rate.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Hey guys... if you're going to throw out conjecture and false info please don't state it as if it fact. In internal combustion engines, the compressed gasoline-air mixtures have a tendency to ignite prematurely rather than burning smoothly. This creates engine knock, a characteristic rattling or pinging sound in one or more cylinders. The octane number of gasoline is a measure of its resistance to knock. High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane.
Albeit this is true as stated, you miss the one thing that is different between the "regular" and "premium" fuels at most pumps. Additives and detergents. Since almost all regular fuels are a blend of whatever distiller happens to be the cheapest at the depot when the tanker gets there, only the premium fuels are kept to the "brand name with additives". I ran a gypsy tank for a number of years in the NE and at the time Hess was the local Depot but every brand of tank would pull in there and load from the big tank. You don't know what fuel you get when you pump the cheap stuff. Keep it premium and stay with one brand, preferably one station, this way should you ever have a problem that can be tied to fuel, you will know where it came from.

This really does not change the conversation here, other than to add my experience. I still pump premium in my bike. I tune for it and the bike likes it.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool octane ?

Originally Posted by Larry64
I don't know about your fuel quality but here in Michigan ALL our fuel is 10% ethanol. It's OK in newer cars but hell in bikes, boats and small engines. My brother owns a small engine shop and ethanol makes him a lot of money. My bike, boat, tractor and lawn equipment all get sta-bil marine ethanol fuel treatment. Now there is talk of E-15 for all grades here, god help us.
NOT True - Marathon / Shell are pure gasoline, and I use the 89 until the weather gets warmer, 85 which is never. . . .

my .02

Thanks for your service

Quick Reply: Low Octane Fuel Effects