Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail recreation of Vintage bike opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

A cool touch would be the knuckle head rocker tops for EVO engines, specially if the tank is small enough to allow you to see the top. they are sold be xxotic I think

Old 04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
johnlord
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man that is cool. I've seen the panhead covers but not the Knuck.

It has 5 Gallon tanks so it may be tight but I'll definately have to check them out.

I wish they would have shaped them a little closer to correct though. You can tell that they're not quite right.

WOW, just found this cam cover as well. They also have mock generator/alternators. Hate to be a poser, but you got to admit it would be neat with the rocker box and cam cover. Not cheap though. Not sure it's worth $1K for mock covers. Cam cover has a cut out where the Evo cam cover normally is as well.

Kinda neat though.

Last edited by johnlord; 04-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by johnlord
Are you sure they're cutting production?

http://www.jsonline.com/business/120012229.html

They sound strong to me.
The article is consistent with what I was told by the local dealers. Notice this statement:

"Overall, our dealer contacts noted that their inventory positions are much improved following (Harley-Davidson's) production cuts over the past year," Hovorka said. The "scarcity factor," of motorcycles being harder to find, has gradually returned to consumers' minds

Or this statement:

All of the surveyed dealerships said current new-bike inventories were "ideal" or "light," Hovorka noted.
"This marks the first time ever in our Harley-Davidson survey in which no dealers indicated too much inventory," he wrote. Additionally, the number of dealerships saying inventories were "too light" reached 65% in the survey, the highest level recorded since Raymond James began contacting dealers almost a decade ago

The point is they have cut production in the last year or two and now demand has caught up and may pass production numbers. This is firming the used bike market as the dealers are moving a lot of used inventory.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
raynoslo
Novice

Go with the knuck not the *****. It wouldn't be as cool since they're making Indians again. Plus I have a thing for old knuckles. It gets me all soft and fuzzy inside.......

Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

My .02. I would restore that bike to original. It is a one of a kind bike. The first year of the Softail. First year of the evo. Last year of the 4 speed, and last year of the kick starter. Just restoring that bike to factory would get you top dollar for it.

Back in 84 I had dreams of owning that bike. Had a poster of it on the wall when I was overseas for Unc.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,077 Likes on 5,816 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Okay, I'll bite, what was wrong with '84s?

I may have to take a gamble (after additional research) and snap up a few cheap low mile FXST's for vintage retrofit. .

Well here goes ..hope I can remember the list...84 FXST's have leftover AMF developed (read cost-cutting) drivetrains. They barely hold up to stock EVO's, and as soon as you crank up the HP... break out the wallet.
  1. Rotary top 4 speed...worst trans Harley ever made...ask any Shovel guy...plus no matter what motor you have, you will have a hard time going over 65 for any length of time without shaking the fillings out of your teeth....stock twinkies will leave you in the dust.
  2. Hitachi starter...downgrade from the original prestolite...constant problems...you will need the kickstart
  3. Either Shovelhead or first year diaphragm clutch...neither will stand much HP...but you can get parts to modify the SH clutch.The early ones have what is called a "dry clutch"...the reason Harley called it a dry clutch, is all the oil that should be in the clutch...is on the ground under the bike...lol
  4. Limited parts avalibility...the 84-mid 85 were basically prototypes...they even have "flame cut" parts on the frame. Look in any parts book...basically ALL Softail parts fit 86 up.
That is the main items...and 86-early89 are even worse drive train wise...the inner primary and trans are impossible to find for those years. All problems were corrected by 90...so look for those when looking for "project bike" on the cheap. If you buy a stock 89 down bike, plan to spend an extra 3K on the driveline to even run a moderate HP increase...I have run an 84 for the last 15 years...got the t-shirt.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-28-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I would have to agree though, that the 84 was probably one of the coolest bikes Harley ever built. When it came out, everyone I knew drooled all over them. They may have had a few problems as said above, but in their stock configuration, they were just a fabulous looking bike. I still have some magazines from 84 that have pictures of it, and that is "the" bike that I always wanted but could not afford when they came out. Finally got my 99 which is still pretty close in the looks department. I guess I would be hard pressed to just put it back to stock.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
johnlord
Novice

There's nothing left thats anything remotely stock about this bike. The original owner spent countless thousands on this bike. Stripped it to the bare frame and smoothed it painting it Candy Red. Upgraded to 5 gallon tanks and painted Candy with ghost flames. Ape Hangers, Arlen Ness Controls, New seat, twisted spoke 21" wheel, 4" extended front and major engine upgrades. He put 6,000 on the bike and ended up in a wheel chair. The bike wasn't registered since 2002.

She sat for 10 years in his garage getting chips all over it.

She fired right up after a carb rebuild, but going back to stock would cost more than what I'm doing.

I wish I knew how much he had into it. I got it for $4K because he was going into a state run home and had to liquidate and since the bike wasn't running, couldn't sell it.

After selling all the custom parts it'll be $2,500 so it's a good candidate for a upgrade.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
meatsack
Banned

Drooooooooooooool.....................

Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't like faux anything.It is a natural for the Frisco look of bike.

Quick Reply: Softail recreation of Vintage bike opinions