Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Pirelli night dragon review

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh... Look at that, all the 'Dragons' are out ..
Thank you Milty, BrettnBama and Country for the compliments on the bike.
Tto be honest, I just got it from my indy, call me stupid I did not even check the inflation yet, I will do that at home, 50 seems a bit steep, I could not find any 'Pirelli' official numbers !.

The search is ON.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
bill in okc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck with Pirelli Diablo tires so when it was time to replace the tires on my Night Train I went with the Night Dragons. I like them.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Augustus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did ya get yur tires in Toronto, if so where? Cause I bought a set of night dragons for my Train before I had it shipped to Toronto, got the bike n realised it had a 21" front tire not a 16", so I need a 21".

Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running Pirelli Night Dragons for almost 2 yrs. They've been much better than the stock Dunflops.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I ran 42 LBS in the rear....Remember the weight of my bike...i do a lot of loaded touring plus i am 260 lbs...I compare it to the Avon Venom X as far as handling, smoothness and durability....I get 11000 miles from a Dunlop Elite III, about 8500 from D402's and Michelin Commanders....I put about 20000 miles a years on average on my bike so i need durability. I will emphasize that they were the smoothest tires i have had on my bike...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Augustus
Did ya get yur tires in Toronto, if so where? Cause I bought a set of night dragons for my Train before I had it shipped to Toronto, got the bike n realised it had a 21" front tire not a 16", so I need a 21".
Is there any other place to get tires in Canada other than Pete Superbike ? .

http://www1.petes-superbike.com/

Seriously, I got the tires shipped to my Indy place for around 260 which was the best price my Indy could give me before taxes, so even with shipping, I saved at least 13% taxes.

Just call them to make sure they have the tire in stock, it usually ships within 48 hours to your door (I ship to my Indy directly).

Regards
KLF

Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I ran 42 LBS in the rear....Remember the weight of my bike...i do a lot of loaded touring plus i am 260 lbs...I compare it to the Avon Venom X as far as handling, smoothness and durability....I get 11000 miles from a Dunlop Elite III, about 8500 from D402's and Michelin Commanders....I put about 20000 miles a years on average on my bike so i need durability. I will emphasize that they were the smoothest tires i have had on my bike...
I used to run 38 rear (light bike and I weight 175), pump it to 42 when my wife is with me. did that well with the Dunlop CuizerMax and with the MEtz.. now I gotta figure the new setup with the Dragons

Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

KLF33... I used to live in Don Mills and also on Avenue road then in Scarborough....I grew up in Bathurst NB.... Just noticed the Toronto Ont..... Was only looking at the content...Been in NC for 22 years now.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 AM
DirtNap
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
If you are in a Hurry, you cant take this , those tires are AWESOME !.

The details :
So the time for a tire change was here, I wanted to try black walls on my black wheels (after the white walls), but I did not want a 2 season commitment (my Mitzs 880 lasted me around 14K) so I figured the Night Dragon's with their reputation for short life and cheaper price would be a good choice in case I did not like the look, then by the end of season I am good to go back to White walls.

I thought everybody said they handle well but the difference from the Metz 880 should not be too huge, the Metzler was a big jump on the Dunlop Elite 3 already.

Boy WAS I EVER WRONG ? ... I could not have imagined how AMAZING those tires are.

So here I am leaving my Indy's shop, kinda liking the black tires, and focusing on the new dog-bone risers, how they brought the bars closer, then I try to evade a pump, simple push.. and the bike just moves... WHOAA ..

The bike never ever moved so Quick, it is Night and Day , Those tires are Superior in every way to the Metz, and they are just on for 10 Miles, they stick to the corners, Patches, pumps, whatever you throw at them, the bike is just on rails.

There was this fast sweeper (I take it around 60 Mph usually) and it makes me nervous, but with those , I was up to 70 and the bike was so stable, it was amazing and enjoyable at the same time.

There is an area where the road is shaved, you know, the area that makes your bike float a bit, and scares beginners, with those tires I could NOT believe it, the tire never tracks the grooves, it just steadies !.

I used to live with how tough my bike was on the curves, and force it, I figured that is part of the 'softail' crabby handling deal, and I kinda enjoyed struggling with them a bit.. but Now, I am dragging those floorboards (from an XBones) all over the place, it is amazing how stable the bike is.

Guys, I do not know how long those will last, but let me tell you, I pay insurance, I pay oil, I pay gas, to have fun, I have a bike to have fun and I am now ADDICTED to those tires.

Everybody says they are great in the rain, I did not try that yet, but now after 150 miles in kinda cold'ish weather here in Ontario, those tires are sticky like nothing I ever tried on my Softie.

OK, I will stop now.. and just post a pic of them on the bike, I dig the black walls. .

Im looking at some night dragons right now are you still happy with them and hows wear?

Last edited by DirtNap; 09-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:13 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, are yours the radial or bias? I want a set for my softail, but the size i need they only offer in bias. kinda not wanting to run bias. the Dunlop HD on it now only get 3k out of a rear so mileage is not a concern, but all i hear is great things about the handling. but not anybody with a bias set yet.

Quick Reply: My Pirelli night dragon review