Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can LED's in HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can LED's in HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge be replaced?

I've got an HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge and one of the LED's is out. This thing is only around 1 yr old? Strange? LED's usually last alot longer.
I've read some threads about changing the colors. Is there anyone on here or otherwise that can replace these things?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 AM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo! As far as I know and what I have read on the forum in the past, you're SOL! They are a sealed unit and really nothing can be done.
I am waiting for the day mine stops working! Going on 3 years, fingers crossed..knock on wood.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is someone on here that has changed them, just can't remember who it was. Mine are over 2 years old and still working , knock on wood

Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 AM
spydyr
Road Captain

I changed out the LEDs on my speedo not too long ago (did a post on it too). I plan on doing these too but the LEDs are hard to find. You can request a two-pack sample of them as long as you say its for industrial use and not personal. The LEDs are called PLCC-4 SMTs. http://www.cree.com/products/ledlamps_plcc.asp REALLLY small things so if you're not a good solderer then just buy a new one.

Here's a pic of what they look like once you get it apart.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Can LED's in HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge be replaced?-motorcycle-gauge-007.jpg  
Old 04-24-2011, 11:50 AM
aidansdad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the fuel gauge that mounts on the front master on my 1200N. One of the LEDs crapped out on it after 10 months. Luckily, it was under warranty. In the future, i think I'll stay away from MoCo LEDs.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM
boise nightrain
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second set, and it still doesn't work right! Good ol' china poop!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful if you try to replace the LED's yourself......PLCC-4 SMT's look the same but have different forward bias voltages and different footprint layouts. Solder in the wrong part and you could damage the circuit. Some of the LED's use 2.3 volts vs 2.8-3.5 and the anode/cathodes are reversed.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spydyr
I changed out the LEDs on my speedo not too long ago (did a post on it too). I plan on doing these too but the LEDs are hard to find. You can request a two-pack sample of them as long as you say its for industrial use and not personal. The LEDs are called PLCC-4 SMTs. http://www.cree.com/products/ledlamps_plcc.asp REALLLY small things so if you're not a good solderer then just buy a new one.

Here's a pic of what they look like once you get it apart.

Good luck!
Hey spydyr, I looked at the length and still can't tell exactly which LED I need to get? There are a few PLCC-4 LED's listed. Can you give me the model number? How hard is it to take the gauge apart? I'm pretty good at soldering but certainly not an expert on very small items. I am an electrician by trade and have some training in electronics. I may tackle it myself but I wanted to feel it out first.
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

I'll tell you what I know so far. Here goes:
CLM2B-REW is what I was looking at. You'll notice that that's the only model that has 60 deg viewing angle. That's the bubble on top... dims the glare of it so it won't shine into the other lights. All others on that page are 120 deg viewing. *Assumably* it shouldn't matter because if you take your gauge apart you'll see the top has each light compartment separated so it shouldn't shine into the other compartments.

As for the 2nd part, how to take it apart, I've attached some pics to help you along the way. From it already being installed, you need to push in the gauge and pop it out. If you have some long skinny needle nose pliers or a long skinny screwdriver, it'll help you get the wire harness out. It's just a 4-wire plug with a pinch lever.

The back part twists off. righty tighty lefty loosy. Just give it a twist and it will twist about a quarter turn and pop right off.

The board is held down with I think 2-3 VERY SMALL torx screws. I have a torx set and I had to go down to the local Autozone to get a super small set. I think the size is 10, maybe 9.

So, you get the board off and you'll be as far as I got. As I said, getting these LEDs is hard and long. If you request a sample, you can only get 2 of them, and you have to say what "industrial use" you're using them for. And it will take 6 weeks. I've tried to send off for 4 sample sets, but only got one 2-pack set.

Good luck! Any other questions just let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Can LED's in HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge be replaced?-motorcycle-gauge-003.jpg   Can LED's in HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge be replaced?-motorcycle-gauge-004.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

What do you mean by push in the gauge and pop it out? Push on the center part?

Quick Reply: Can LED's in HD Flush Mount Fuel Gauge be replaced?