Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to protect fender from pillion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:08 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Default How to protect fender from pillion?

I'm looking to get rid of the fender bib. I think just the plain fender would look cleaner, but there's that plastic tape on the fender to protect it from the seat. As it is, there are some scuffs from the pillion pad that I'm having a hard time getting out. I ride mostly solo, but need to be able to switch back and forth often enough... Any ideas?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,969 Likes on 4,161 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
I'm looking to get rid of the fender bib. I think just the plain fender would look cleaner, but there's that plastic tape on the fender to protect it from the seat. As it is, there are some scuffs from the pillion pad that I'm having a hard time getting out. I ride mostly solo, but need to be able to switch back and forth often enough... Any ideas?
I used a piece of thick(1/8) black felt on my last bike. Its seemed to work. The one I have now is pretty much marred for life. I know that plastic part you are talking about. Does that come off? Some day I may go to a one up but I figured I would need a bib for sure and then some. Good excuse for 2K real blue flame job.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 792 Posts

I took off the protective film and bought a bib from Mustang. I didn't like the way the bib looked, so I took it off and just run naked. I use the bib when I put the passenger seat on for Momma. The Harley scratch remover worked pretty well for removing the little scratches from the passenger seat.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea just get a phantom pad its a suction cup seat that you can just pull off and it every messed with my paint.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I took off the protective film and bought a bib from Mustang. I didn't like the way the bib looked, so I took it off and just run naked. I use the bib when I put the passenger seat on for Momma. The Harley scratch remover worked pretty well for removing the little scratches from the passenger seat.
That's not a bad idea... I have the mustang bib too, but mine has studs, just wondering if yours does too? Could always just make something up I guess I could always just make up a little felt-back pad to go under the seat...

Old 04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine is just the basic one, no studs. It had kind of a little kink in it, and it wouldn't lie flat with the curve of the fender, which is why I just use it when the PS is installed.
My passenger seat scratched my fender past where the plastic film covered the fender...right where the seat ended. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Yeah, I just tried mine, but the studs seem to get in the way. Oh, and I know exactly where yours is scratches because mine is the same place. Doesn't show bad on the white though. Think I'll just buy some felt and vinyl and make up a little pad to cover where the seat touches. Thanks for the idea! should work great.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

You're welcome. Glad I could help out, kinda' sorta'...

Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

I glued felt to the bottom of the pillion and took off the plastic crap from the fender.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I glued felt to the bottom of the pillion and took off the plastic crap from the fender.
That might be the easiest. Do you remember what kind of glue you used?

Quick Reply: How to protect fender from pillion?