Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much for indy to swap wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for indy to swap wheels?

So I've been extended in Iraq and I have a bunch of mods for the bike to do when I get home.

Since I'm extended though, it's gonna cut close to my big bike trip with my dad. I have to throw on new bars, 422's, drop in's, and a new set of wheels (w/ pulley and rotors).

Only thing I've never done is had my wheels off. Doesnt look like rocket science and I have manual (of course), bike jacks, tools, blah, blah, blah.

I WAS thinking of having local indy do the wheel swap before I get home, so it's done and I dont have to worry about alignment issues, spacing, belt, etc when we push right out on the trip.

Shot them an email, and they dont KNOW me eve though I've been in there a couple times for little parts and whatnot, but they say $255 to swap wheels. Aside from loosening exhaust to get axle bolt out first time, I thought it was like an hour for a good shop. What am I missing?

Oh, Coastal moto deal, so tires already mounted, balanced, etc. Unbolt old, bolt in new.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by County98
So I've been extended in Iraq and I have a bunch of mods for the bike to do when I get home.

Since I'm extended though, it's gonna cut close to my big bike trip with my dad. I have to throw on new bars, 422's, drop in's, and a new set of wheels (w/ pulley and rotors).

Only thing I've never done is had my wheels off. Doesnt look like rocket science and I have manual (of course), bike jacks, tools, blah, blah, blah.

I WAS thinking of having local indy do the wheel swap before I get home, so it's done and I dont have to worry about alignment issues, spacing, belt, etc when we push right out on the trip.

Shot them an email, and they dont KNOW me eve though I've been in there a couple times for little parts and whatnot, but they say $255 to swap wheels. Aside from loosening exhaust to get axle bolt out first time, I thought it was like an hour for a good shop. What am I missing?

Oh, Coastal moto deal, so tires already mounted, balanced, etc. Unbolt old, bolt in new.
I'd do it myself for that price. Just did two wheels the other day. It took about an hour and a half for two wheels beginning to end.

Drew

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,265 Likes on 5,864 Posts

Originally Posted by County98
alignment issues, spacing, belt,

I thought it was like an hour for a good shop. What am I missing?

Unbolt old, bolt in new.
On the 2000 up bikes...Harley changed the hubs on the wheels every time the wind blew...so most aftermarket wheels are not a simple bolt on...they require some degree of mock-up and custom spacing. Not a big deal for any shop that does it for a living...but they have probably had enough problems installing custom wheels that they don't want to fool with it, if they don't have enough "cushion" in the price to make a few bucks. Good Luck and have fun on your big bike trip.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My guy charged me $75. I was happy with that.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
scasey
Road Master

my local steeler is cheaper than all my local Indy"s for just about everything and there is a 1yr warranty on the work, so even it cost a little more i go to the steeeler. mind you every price i have gotten for anything the steeler has beat it.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
HEMI Army
Cruiser

Yet you still call them "the steeper". I guess because everybody else does so might as well continue the cliche.

Originally Posted by scasey
my local steeler is cheaper than all my local Indy"s for just about everything and there is a 1yr warranty on the work, so even it cost a little more i go to the steeeler. mind you every price i have gotten for anything the steeler has beat it.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
HEMI Army
Cruiser

Steeler*

Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front's a piece of cake but as I recall, the rear was a PITA. It finally came down to following the instructions and removing the rear brake pads to gain enough wiggle room to fit everything back in place.

Yeah, there's some satisfaction doing it yourself, but if you have a trustworthy shop, and the price is reasonable, make it their headache instead of yours.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 AM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by HEMI Army
Yet you still call them "the steeper". I guess because everybody else does so might as well continue the cliche.
only reason i call it the steeler is that is what everyione else calls it>>>>kinda like the Indy(independant). Trust me where i am at they are far from the steeler it is the local Indy"s that want tooooo much

Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in UK and my local independant wants £55 to swap 2 tyres over for me on my Deluxe. I thought that was quite reasonable,

Quick Reply: How much for indy to swap wheels?