Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar Help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011 | 09:10 AM
rrambo
|
Tourer
Default Bar Help please

So, my new Lo is great and this isn't really causing any problems.. but yet it's bothering me.. the first time I rode it I thought the handlebars were slightly crooked... I chalked it up to me being crazy... but every time I ride, I look at the bars when I'm going straight and it just seems like the bars themselves, well.. aren't straight..

So yesterday, I sat on the bike and placed my hands on the bar.. straightened up... and yes, they are definitely a little crooked.. if I look at the bars in relation with the fork bolt heads, the left side is about 1/8 inch higher than the right side... well forward I guess.. the bars are shifted forward on the left..

I'm thinking maybe when the bike was tied down in my truck when I bought it, the risers got pulled more on the left side..

Easy fix?

Old 04-21-2011 | 10:07 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Quite honestly I'm confused haha...but I think God is trying to tell you it's time to replace those bars.

The following users liked this post:
Truble (04-14-2020)
Old 04-21-2011 | 10:10 AM
rrambo
|
Tourer

HA!! I know... I love everything about the bike EXCEPT for the bars.. feels like they are 1-2 inches too far away... and I love those bars on your Lo... but damn.. my bike is new, the bars shouldn't be crooked...

Old 04-21-2011 | 10:14 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Loosen the riser bolts and move them until they are straight. Tighten it back up. fI like to stick the front wheel in a corner and move the bars until perfect and the retighten.

Drew

Old 04-21-2011 | 10:17 AM
rrambo
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Loosen the riser bolts and move them until they are straight. Tighten it back up. fI like to stick the front wheel in a corner and move the bars until perfect and the retighten.

Drew
Drew,

you're a godsend on this forum.... i figured that's all I needed to do but I've never messed with bars..

Old 04-21-2011 | 10:31 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

My bike had crooked bars also. It's an easy fix.

Old 04-21-2011 | 11:13 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

A brand new bike I would have called HD to come get it and take it back to straighten. Hassle them since you just spent $16k + on it.

Old 04-21-2011 | 12:50 PM
rrambo
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
A brand new bike I would have called HD to come get it and take it back to straighten. Hassle them since you just spent $16k + on it.
yeah.. but they are 2 hours away.. it would be more of a hassle for me then it would them..

Old 04-21-2011 | 01:42 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Drew is correct it is usually the risers but if that doesnt do it for you it can also be the forks in the triple clamps. if that is the case you have to losen the triple clamps and twist the wheel / forks in the clamps and then tighten . Same process as the risers, put the front wheel in a corner or a chock and turn the handlebars then retighten the triple clamps

Old 04-21-2011 | 01:48 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem on my 07. Took it back to the dealer, he came outside, took a hold of the bars and just gave them a tug and pull to where they became straight. Tech said it was the cheap bushings that causes that. If ya can't get to a dealer, wedge the front tire so it doesn't move and sit on the bike and grab the bars and push or pull one way or the other. Eat your Wheaties before you attempt it.

Quick Reply: Bar Help please