Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WFA
As usual, everyone has their own preference for any lub including stearing head lub. At least those who lub their bikes as required. I prefer and use lucas grease...specifically "red and tacky #2". With it's 540 degree drop point i don't have to constantly swipe the motor. It stays in place. It is a technical blend of lithium and polymers with "anti-wear/anti seize" agents.

The key here is to fully lub the head by pumping enough grease to come out the bottom and top. There is no seal to worry about rupture. Get it full, wipe it down good and check a few times along the way until it all settles in.

It works for me !!
+1, good advice!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Definetly not putting enough grease in mine, glad I read this thread..

Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Definetly not putting enough grease in mine, glad I read this thread..
Actually, there is no need to "fill" the neck of the steering housing. These bearings are not rotating fast nor do they generate any heat... I mean, come on, how fast are you turning your handlebars. Now that HD has wised up and increased the torque spec for the steering head, the factory grease (and I would definitely check to make sure that they greased it) will last quite a long time. Then a smidgen of grease as part of you maintenance is all that is required... marine grease tends to work great - water proof and less runny at high temps.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:49 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Just recently re-greased my '05 FLSTN; just took a few pumps. I've always used the SP grease called out in the manual, never had any problems with dripping.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WFA
As usual, everyone has their own preference for any lub including stearing head lub. At least those who lub their bikes as required. I prefer and use lucas grease...specifically "red and tacky #2". With it's 540 degree drop point i don't have to constantly swipe the motor. It stays in place. It is a technical blend of lithium and polymers with "anti-wear/anti seize" agents.

The key here is to fully lub the head by pumping enough grease to come out the bottom and top. There is no seal to worry about rupture. Get it full, wipe it down good and check a few times along the way until it all settles in.

It works for me !!
Darn .. I wish I would have thought this through ... and used the lube you recommend ... in FL heat my fork head weeps ... can you buy the Lucus lube you note in the small Harry-Home-Owner grease gun tube size????

I've used synthetic red and tacky lube for rebuilding engines - but all I have is a tub of it not a grease tube ... we just give rotating and rubbing, cranks, shafts, bearing areas and such parts ... apply super thin coating as we rebuild em ... gives you a warm-and-fuzzy when you first crank them up ... I should have known to use this stuff for the head stem .. but after all these years it never occured to me ...

And .. do you think I could just replace my regular lube with the Lucas hot stuff by just pumping away until the red and tacky comes out ...

Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

can you buy the Lucus lube you note in the small Harry-Home-Owner grease gun tube size????

***I HAVEN'T SEEN IT IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN STANDARD SIZE TUBE. I BOUGHT AN VERY IN-EXPENSIVE GREASE GUN AT WALMART AND USE IT EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE LUCAS RED. GOOGLE LUCAS !!

And .. do you think I could just replace my regular lube with the Lucas hot stuff by just pumping away until the red and tacky comes out ...[/QUOTE]

***THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES. I PUMPED AND PUMPED UNTIL THE BLACK GREASE CAME OUT THE TOP AND BOTTOM AND ULITMATELY THE RED OOZED OUT BOTH ENDS AND THE BLACK WENT AWAY. THE NEXT TIME ONLY TOOK A FEW PUMPS. ANNUAL RITUAL!!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some Lucas Red & Tacky at Lowes. Soon as I get around to it, I'm going to try that. It's supposed to stay in better than the brown HD stuff.