Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another torx/loctite fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011 | 03:20 PM
tmac00333
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Another torx/loctite fiasco

Told my dealer a while back to put chrome allen bolts on sideplates on my '06 Heritage and not torx and loctite. Of course he put torx and loctite back on. Went to install a luggage rack. Almost had a hernia trying to get bolts out. Finally realized I had the wrong torx bit (big mistake trying to work on bike without my reading glasses). Went to Lowe's, got the right bit, took off sideplates.

Now, the sissy bar also has torx bolts. Yes, yes, I should have checked. These were smaller and much, much meaner. Plus a little rust and corrosion. Had the right bit this time, but wrong ratchet. Back to Lowe's. Got the right ratchet and a heat gun. Finally got the bolts out, installed luggage rack. I'm not going to tell you how long it took or how many curse words I yelled.

Two days later, broke up with my girlfriend. Removed sissy bar, backrest and luggage rack.

Old 04-20-2011 | 03:29 PM
JPL
Tourer

So now it is when you will be needing it the most!!!!

Old 04-20-2011 | 03:57 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

Two days later, broke up with my girlfriend. Removed sissy bar, backrest and luggage rack.

Now THAT'S a kick in the shorts!!

Old 04-20-2011 | 04:13 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master

I'm trying to remove the left side passenger floor board mount and it appears that this little 5/16 hex head bolt has a rather unique reputation along with most of the other left side bolts.

I tried the air impact wrench, heat and vice grips. Tonight I going to try to drill/heat/easy-out.

Wish me luck.

Old 04-20-2011 | 06:04 PM
HEMI Army
Cruiser

At least you have all the right tools now.

Old 04-20-2011 | 06:45 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master

Originally Posted by HEMI Army
At least you have all the right tools now.
I have all of tools, what I need is luck.

Old 04-20-2011 | 07:15 PM
HEMI Army
Cruiser

My response was to the OP. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 04-20-2011 | 07:57 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

You have to go to Sears and get the soldering gun that looks like a gun from STAR TREK. Its the only one that that will heat them up to twist them out. How do i know..? I just went through this 2 weeks ago. Mocked up the new sissy bar kit from Harley and the bolts had the YELLOW **** on them. Thought nothing of it...Went to back them out 10 minutes later and lifted the bike off the ground trying to get them out. Another member suggested the gun....It worked. Heat them up hot to the touch and out they came....!

Old 04-20-2011 | 08:11 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheTroupe
I'm trying to remove the left side passenger floor board mount and it appears that this little 5/16 hex head bolt has a rather unique reputation along with most of the other left side bolts.

I tried the air impact wrench, heat and vice grips. Tonight I going to try to drill/heat/easy-out.

Wish me luck.
Good luck. I just took off my right side, finally got them off, and when I put them back on, there was so much lock-tight that one of them cross threaded... A tap/die set and few hours later and I was back in business.

Old 04-21-2011 | 08:44 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Unfortunately, torx heads require the purchase of best quality tools... unlike many other fasteners, etc. You have to get a complete set from MacTools or SnapOn. They have to be made of high grade steel and have perfect sizing and well made corners.

An impact driver is probably a good investment, a heat gun is definitely a good investment for everything loctite'd.

Quick Reply: Another torx/loctite fiasco