Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe-Relocate License Bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My bib didn't cover the film (I don't remember how much over run) so I removed it.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
GF has a new 2009 Deluxe and wants to move the stock license plate bracket from above the tombstone tail light to BELOW the tombstone tail light. Dont see anything from HD that accomplishes this. What has anyone done to make this happen? Would prefer to NOT do any drilling into the rear fender if at all possible.

many thanks!
hoethree, Here is my setup. I bought a new tombstone light housing without the light. I made the license plate bracket out of 22 ga. stainless steel that I got out of my sheetmetal shop. looks like the softbrake setup but at a much lower cost. Easy install.
Stone

Softail Deluxe-Relocate License Bracket?-sdc11430.jpg

Softail Deluxe-Relocate License Bracket?-sdc11431.jpg

Softail Deluxe-Relocate License Bracket?-sdc11432.jpg

Softail Deluxe-Relocate License Bracket?-sdc11434.jpg

Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billsantos
Perfect, so one more question then. That's the bib I intend to go with also, 'IF'... It doesn't look like it's on in your sig pic. I want to leave the protective film on the fender so i can put the pass seat back on as needed.. Does the bib cover the film completely, or if you removed the film, do you think the bib would have covered it ?.. I do not want to remove that protective film, and of course my local HD dealers don't have a bib instock so I can check.. Not gonna order one until I know it will cover it completely. Thanks again...

My bib covers it 99% you have to look real hard to see it.

Also why not keep the bib on when putting on the seat. That's what I do, I actually like the look of the seat on and no rack better than the solo seat.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
09 deluxe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 deluxe
That's what I did...it works great. I removed the protective film before I got the bib. I will try and take pics later of a close up of the bib, but I think it was designed to cover the film...
here is the closeup pic of the bib...should give you an idea by looking at your film how much would stick out. Hope it helps...

Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kozy22
My bib covers it 99% you have to look real hard to see it.

Also why not keep the bib on when putting on the seat. That's what I do, I actually like the look of the seat on and no rack better than the solo seat.
Yep, I think I may agree with the stock seat statement and i'm not changing that. I'm not that tall and the stock is a comfortable fit.
Some good post on how to get around the film.
09 deluxe's pic of the HD bib looks like it will cover the film.
Would break my little heart to scratch up the fender..
I'll get the parts guy to say it 'will' cover the film and i can return it if not, once it comes in, I'll try it on right there. Save a possible return trip and some hassel.
Sorry about hijacking a tail light thread.........

Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM
aquaelvis
Tourer

Anyone using those cheap LED license plate bolts when they switch to this Softbrake system? That was my plan, simple and small. They are like $14 shipped from ebay.
I don't like the look of the lic plate frames with built-in lights, the frames are too big. I am trying to find a super thin frame right now and not having much like. I just want a thin strip of chrome to cover the plate's edge and lights that don't draw attention away from the sleekness of this set up.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
09 deluxe
Advanced

Originally Posted by aquaelvis
Anyone using those cheap LED license plate bolts when they switch to this Softbrake system? That was my plan, simple and small. They are like $14 shipped from ebay.
I don't like the look of the lic plate frames with built-in lights, the frames are too big. I am trying to find a super thin frame right now and not having much like. I just want a thin strip of chrome to cover the plate's edge and lights that don't draw attention away from the sleekness of this set up.
I didn't use the bolts but I did get the custom dynamics LED frame and the lights are invisible on it to the eye. LED strip is embedded in the top edge. Lights the plate up great and is clean looking from the rear.

and closer up

Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aquaelvis
There was someone on here who said they were using them but I don't remember how bright he said they were...You know them CHP's are sticklers for the law...

Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 09 deluxe
I didn't use the bolts but I did get the custom dynamics LED frame and the lights are invisible on it to the eye. LED strip is embedded in the top edge. Lights the plate up great and is clean looking from the rear.

and closer up

Looks like you got the same HD conversion turn signal kit l I got.. I found the clear red lenses were way to bright compared to the diffused lens of the brake light..All 3 bulbs were the standard 28 (or 24) watt dual filiment 1157's, so i replaced the turn signal bulbs with 18 watt 1157's. Still a little to bright for me and went to the 12 watt 1157's.. perfect match at night but the 18 watt weren't a bad match... I could not find direct pop in fit diffused lenses for the turn signals. $3 for 2 bulbs was a deal...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM
aquaelvis
Tourer

You know them CHP's are sticklers for the law...
I am lucky that way, don't have to worry about that much.

09deluxe that is a sweet set up- one of the best I have seen. That frame is clean, can't even see the lights.

I am going back and forth, I am thinkng of running the softbrake but running the plate off the swingarm. That fender is so cool, I hate to have so much crap on it. (very tempted to take those directionals off, run them off the side of the swingarm too) Fender would be super clean with just the brake light... but that might lead me to want a different light, somthing custom, then I will never have my bike on the road!
OK, maybe move the plate but leave the turn signals alone... for now.

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe-Relocate License Bracket?