Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Handlebars, best way to install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Handlebars, best way to install?

I got my new Carlini Evil Nuckles yesterday and have already begun the install. My question is, what is the best/proper way to measure for custom cable length? I have read a number of threads on here, but haven't seemed to come across anything that really gets me set straight. I'm thinking I'm going to need around -2, but I want to make sure I'm going to end up with something that is perfect.

Also, how is the best way to go about doing my control wiring internally? That's another thing I've searched for but haven't found that "holy grail" thread that explains things perfectly for a first time bar installer.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM
wdog3973
Novice

Dude I don't think there is a Holy Grail" thread. There are a lot of threads on here that explain the process but really the way to do it is lots of deep breaths and step backs to analyze where in the process you are. If you already have your old bars off just kind of mount your new bars to the risers and then compare your cables that you have to the way they will be when installed. Also you can call Wild 1 and ask the people there and they can help you out. There is a great wiring instruction on their website, simple and to the point. Remember breath and take a step back between every step. Good luck!!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would measure how long i need them in riding position, then fully extended left and right that way i dont get them to short nothing like stressing expensive cables hahahaha

Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,953 Likes on 4,700 Posts

Internal wiring is easy but time consuming. If you don't have drilled holes for the wires that would of course be the first step. Running the wires is the easy part. If you have an air compressor you just tape off the all except the hole you're going from, and the hole you want the wires to come out of, then blow one end of a long piece of string through the bars. The air will blow it out the one hole you want, then simply tie the other end to the wires and pull it through.

If you don't have the air compressor, just run a single piece of wire by hand and do the same thing. It's much easier to pull the wires out by a different string, than trying to push them through. I promise that's a nightmare.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
wdog3973
Novice

Oh yeah just a little aside about internal wiring. A vacuum cleaner will suck the string right thru the hole. I used my little shop vac to suck my pull string thru simple easy and neat. Just don't forget to hold onto the end of the string. Don't ask me how I know that!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
levinale
Advanced

And so that you have a complete variety of methods to choose from ;-) you can take a piece if twine, tie a metal nut to one end to give it some weight, and feed it down from the one hole to the other. Works well.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser

Thanks for all the advise. I think the big thing for me is to not rush it. I actually got the bars mounted and even the new chrome housing to get a feel for what its going to look like. I'm still not sold on the stock risers. I wanted the high rollers, but these bars are stepped to 1" and the high rollers only work on 1.25" & 1.5". I'll see if I can post pictures from my phone.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser

Here are some pics of what the bars look like mounted. Now I have another possibly dumb question. How did you guys run the wires through the bars? By that I mean, did you unplug the wires from the harnass and feed them through that way? If you did that, did you have to pull the tank, dash, ect? This will be my biggest job to date, so I'm a bit overly cautious right now.

Attached Thumbnails New Handlebars, best way to install?-dsc00880.jpg   New Handlebars, best way to install?-dsc00886.jpg   New Handlebars, best way to install?-dsc00888.jpg   New Handlebars, best way to install?-dsc00890.jpg   New Handlebars, best way to install?-dsc00894.jpg  

Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Learn from other peoples mistakes and go from there.