Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fule gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:01 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default fule gauge problem

I brought my ride in to my stealer today because the fuel gauge was stuck on full. The tech pulled off the dash removed something put it back together and it never started again I had to leave it. Its not the ground wire if your thinking that. After puling the gauge and putting it back an engine code came up and the bike would not run sounded like it does when your out of gas. shot a hole in my weekend was told I have to wait for the head tech until Tuesday any one have any knowledge on this subject.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: fule gauge problem

If it has fuel injection I would suspect that they may have accidentally messed up the fuel pump circuits. Without the in tank fuel pump or having it run improperly would give you exactly the condition your describing.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:30 PM
nikonf8
Supporter

I do have fule injection. i do not quite understand what you are saying. the tech has about six years experince i would hope he knows what the heck he is doing can you explain it any other way that i may understand

Old 10-22-2006, 12:44 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Its not hard to understand. On the older carbed models the fuel was fed by gravity. You opened the petcock and fuel went down into the carbs float bowl when the float in the float bowl went down enough to open needle valve allowing more fuel in, simple system.
Fuel injection on the other hand requires that the fuel line from the tank be pressurized. The actual fuel injector is nothing more than an electrically controlled on off valve. The valve or injector itself has no control over the quantity of fuel it delivers, it just opens up and sprays. The computer knows how much fuel it can flow based on a standardized line pressure. The computer will keep the injector open until it thinks its been open long enough to admit the proper amount of fuel based on the maps it has stored. More complicated but its just a different and more precise way to put fuel into the engine.
If the pump in the tank isn't running properly it will not pressurize the line right. If the line isn't presurized properly the injectors will not be able to spray or flow the right amount of fuel into the manifold and the engine will starve, making it run lean, very poorly or not at all.

Hope that helps a little. Its a bit oversimplified but you should get the idea.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:51 AM
nikonf8
Supporter

ok but what would have happened to mine that an experinced tech could not find and fix today that be the question

Old 10-22-2006, 01:05 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a poor electrical connection to the fuel pump. If its not getting enough juice, it my not be able to supply the right amount of pressure to the system.
Bad electrical connections can often be a Royal PITA to find in a car, in the tight confines of a bike its nearly a nightmare. The up side is that there just isn't a whole hell of a lot of places where its likely to be a problem. The down side is getting at them.
I hope is raining like hell where you are so the weekend isn't one you would be wanting to ride in anyway. But if your luck is like mine the weather is nearly perfect with major storms predicted for Tuesday on.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:07 AM
nikonf8
Supporter

big bummer the weather this weekend is perfect riding weather there wont be to many more like this

Old 10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Then I guess your luck is the same as mine, its been drizzeling all day long and its supposed to do more tomorrow.
That's because my bike is in my garage, not at the dealer like yours. God it sucks to be us, but at least we HAVE bikes for riding. Its WAY better than the alternative of not having one at all.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:26 AM
nikonf8
Supporter

i do not know what the hell the tech did but i believe its all his fault. my fuel gauge was sticking on full but the bike was running just fine. they have had problems with some fuel gauges sticking. he pulled the dash off then the plate and i believe he removed the gauge and put it back he them turned on the switch to the ignition at that point i seen him looking kind of confused i belive thare was an engine code it was not there when i broughy it in this was supposed to be a 20 minut job. when he pulled out the manual i knew it was going to be a bad day. But no matter what they tell me I am sticking to my guns and not paying for this disaster

Old 10-22-2006, 01:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Amen to that, too bad you don't know what the "code" was. I could look it up in my manual and see what he screwed up.
My suspisions are that it has something to do with the fuel pump and its connections somehow, they are under the dash.

Good Luck, but if I were you I wouldn't pay for anyting either, and if it happened to me I would turn my wife loose on them long enough to get at least a free gift cirtificate out of it.
She REALLY knows how to push all the right buttons to get what she wants. Funny thing is that she was the insperation for the "lemon" laws in New York state some 35 years ago. Got herself on TV for while back then, had Ford eating out of her hand over a problem with a Maverick she bought.

Quick Reply: fule gauge problem