Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anatomical apes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:16 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anatomical apes

members of this forum have every known ape hanger made it seems. views of pictures leave some questions. I am still mulling the possibility of ape hangers on my bike. other than a few sesmoid bones and 5th metacarpal fractures (I have one too), people's hand/wrist/forearm anatomy is essentially the same. I see apehangers with grip positions in any number of orientations, some even turn UP. I want grips in anatomically neutral position...in fact my drag bars would be perfect if they were 12 inches or so taller...but that would look silly . I know, picky picky....but please some feedback on who has apes with grip position about 10 degrees back and 15-20 degrees down (with the apes mounted in a generally perpendicular to the ground orientation). thanks as always.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you gone through the ape hanger **** thread or the NT picture thread? lotsa apes

Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Big words! I found my stock mini asps were just as you described. Problem I had with them was on the highway I felt like a sail boat in a hurricane. Fighting the wind killed my back, but the position otherwise was indeed as neutral as I have ever felt.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer

Originally Posted by Scheers44
Have you gone through the ape hanger **** thread or the NT picture thread? lotsa apes
Yeah I looked at ( a lot ) of the pictures, liked them all...but really can't tell by looking at pictures which brands/models of apes have this specific grip positioning....I expect that most do but I can't tell for sure by looking.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love mine, i had slammer bars but got the RSD King apes a few weeks ago and freakin love em!!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Wild 1 Outlawz are exactly what you are describing. I am not pushing them because I have them, in fact, I will be happy if I never see, in person, another scoot with them. But....to me they almost seem like a cross between an ape and a tall TT drag bar. The wrist position does seem to be prett neutral to me...let me see if I have a good pic to show that.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nevermind the messy garage or the plate number...

Attached Thumbnails anatomical apes-dscn0151.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just guessing, but I would imagine that almost all the HD stock and HD accessory ape's are anatomically neutral. I have to figure that SOME research went into the design, lol.

I have some stock Street Bob bars on mine and will be changing to 14" Wild 1's when I get back from Iraq.

I think ape's look cool, and lots of folks say they're super comfortable...BUT...if they were really the chit when it came to ergo's and comfort then Goldwings and Glides would have had them come stock years ago.

Last edited by County98; 04-17-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
SMF
Banned

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000907824023

TED ALVA HE WILL MAKE ANY BARS YOU WANT AND SIZE YOU WANT YOU CAN MEASURE THE BARS YOU HAVE AND SEND HIM THE DIMENSIONS AND HE WILL MAKE THEM.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

One big difference between the apes and your drag bars is that the apes are easily adjustable. A few degrees forward or back changes everything. The apes have me sitting more upright, so seat comfort is more noticeable. Of course, you are more of a sail in the wind. One advantage of apes is that your mirrors become much more useful -- you can really see behind your bike, not just your shoulders.

Quick Reply: anatomical apes