Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a windshield....and i hate it

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Redder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a windshield....and i hate it

So, i picked up a windshield for my xbones this past weekend. I installed the detachable hardware that was more of a pita than i expected.

Anyways, once on i was excited to take my first highway ride. My eyes are abour 2-3 inches above he top of the shield.

When driving, the shield distorted the road al little...kind of like big glasses. Freaked me out.

Once on the highway, my body wasnt getting thumped anymore and it didnt feel like i was hanging on for dear life. But my head felt like i went a few rounds with Tyson. The wind coming off the top of the shield shook my head terribly.

Is this normal?? Or do i have to adjust something?

I dont have too many options on the xbones to adjj my ride height because im like 6'3 250 lbs...

If it is...i may just return the shield.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Well, I guess its normal for you! I cant ride for any extended time on the freeway without a shield, I'm completely comfortable with it.

I've been riding more and more without it, but highway for more than 15 minutes requires it, for me.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Are you keeping your knees pressed against the gas tank and 60+ mph? To make sure the shield is where you think it is, get a level. Rest one end on the shield and the other end towards your head. Get it so the bubble is balanced and see how far the shield is below your eyes. If it is around nose level, you are good. Mine is between chin and nose and works great.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Two cents

I don't run a windshield on my XBones and I prefer it that way. I also do not see too many other XBones with windshields, this may be an indication that the stock Harley one isn't that great (in it's function). I can say this: ALL my buds with Street Glides have ditched their stock (low rise) shields and purchased aftermarket 'shaped' windshields that have a little kick-up to the glass that, I guess, is supposed to throw the air up and over their heads while still being low enough to 'see' over (not through). These aftermarket shields are supposed to have been tested quite a bit to avoid the exact thing you are complaining about...head buffeting.
If a quick search does not find a similar product, post here again and I will get the company name for you. Maybe they make similar items for the Bones and not just the dressers. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM
220 Dlx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking through the 'shield is something you will get used to. My last bike had a 'shield that I looked over. Kept the wind off my chest, but directed it to my head, resulting in unpleasant buffeting. My current bike has a 'shield that is just about eye level, and I love it. It's detachable for town cruising, and serves a function when cooler/highway riding. My .02 is try a little taller one. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shield is not tall enough or not short enough.

Their are two schools of thought on shields. Look thru it or look over it.

Yours is just in between, and it will scare the **** out of you. --- Distortion ---

I chose to look over.

My shield is at chin level so I am always looking over it.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

I had the same problem and my windshield was adjusted the way they said to. I'm 6ft and I set the to of the shield just below my field of vision. The wind buffeted my head and I found it very uncomfortable. I've had windshields on two separate bikes and with the same results. I ride 55mi one way to work daily on the highway and I haven't used a windshield in years. Never will again either. With my new narrow beach bars it also eliminated the feeling of holding on for dear life at highway speed.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Proper shield height has you looking over it, not through it.
It's not optically clear and as the name implies, is a wind shield.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue with my head getting beat after a long ride on the highway above 70. At 55 I"m fine but at higher speeds it was beating me silly. However I found it was not the shield but the air coming up from under it. If I kept my feet on the footboards and not on my highway pegs and I kept my knees in against the tank it minimized it. I went out and got the HD chrome lowers and the problem went away. I just took the lowers off last week to see if I was imagining things back then and I can tell you that it is a completely different ride. I just don't want to put the fangs back on since it is getting real hot here. Air cooled bike + restricted airflow + hot weather doesn't equal a happy bike.

There are a couple of manufacturers doing a shield with a flare or flip as some call it at the top. I may try that and see if it helps. I'm due for a new shield anyway.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Your shield is to low, It's supposed to be at center eye level when your in the riding position. So the air flow goes over your head.

Quick Reply: Got a windshield....and i hate it