Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a windshield....and i hate it

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM
wayahead
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedanben
I am not trying to be a jerk. But... Most like the shield to be a couple inches below eye level. The buffeting is from underneath.
I think all of it adds up to some degree, but most of mine is coming over the windshield. I've tried the 'hold your arm horizontal against your chest' trick and that didn't make any difference, so it is hard to tell if any of it is coming up from below. But if I put my hand on top of the windshield with palm facing outward, there is a big difference. My stock short windshield hits me about the bottom of my chin, which I think is too low. I think the tall one is about 4 inches taller which should be about right for me.

I'd be interested to know how the WindVest works down low since it doesn't appear to hang down below the handlebars.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTroupe
...Their are two schools of thought on shields. Look thru it or look over it. Yours is just in between, and it will scare the **** out of you. --- Distortion ---
I chose to look over.
+1 -- When I bought my '05 FLSTN original owner had installed the tall shield and I hated looking thru it. Finally just cut it down about 4-5", now it's perfect. My normal seating position puts my line of sight a couple inches above the shield, but if necessary I can hunker down behind it and look thru.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 PM
martinspencer
Novice

One thing that has not been considered in these interesting buffeting/windshield discussions is what sort of helmet folks are wearing, or not wearing.
Obviously helmets make one's head taller and wider which will catch the wind more. Also as helmets are open on the bottom there may be a fair amount of turbulence directed into this inlet.
I would be interested in knowing what headware 6' riders with king size windshields are using . . . .

As an aside, WTF with the weather. Rain every day in the Midwest. Haven't been out for a good ride on the bike in way too long . . . .

Further aside, my fangs fit nicely outside of the detachable prongs; I had mistakenly placed them inside the prongs to minimize the gap to the fork leg. The angle of fang to fork proximity is controllable to a certain extent with washers on the two retaining bolts.

Martin

Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
spelk3
Club Member

Your head gets buffeted from wind coming up from the front of the tank. My FLSTF with detachable windshield installed buffeted my head really bad until I installed Harleys fork mounted wind deflectors (pn# 58125-90B).

Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
wayahead
Novice

Originally Posted by martinspencer
One thing that has not been considered in these interesting buffeting/windshield discussions is what sort of helmet folks are wearing ...
I have a Scorpion half shell. Definitely made a difference when I pulled off the little sun visor. Right now, if I'm doing above 45 or so, I drop the retractable face shield and that also makes a big difference, but it is still pretty bad at 55 or more. I'm riding a Cross Bones which sits you pretty high. I know if I just slump down a little in the seat (not leaning forward in any way), just enough to simulate about a 3 inch taller windshield, almost all of the buffeting goes away.

Originally Posted by martinspencer
As an aside, WTF with the weather. Rain every day in the Midwest. Haven't been out for a good ride on the bike in way too long . . . .
Yeah, you guys have really been getting hammered. Pretty nice right now in Central FL, but getting hot.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

saeng stealth edging. Cheap fix.

My bad. Just checked their page. Not on the site anymore.

Now it's called micro swirl edging. Not sure about it though. Haven't run a windshield in years.

Last edited by Stretchman; 04-28-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Redder
Tourer

Ok...so i was finally able to get out on a long ride with my new shorter hd windshield (i exchanged the tall one at my dealer)

so, my experience...

-Shorter comes to just below my chin
-much easier to see over...doesnt feel like a big pair of glasses
-around town... Nice
-highway speeds..:buffering is way down, but still some there. Def not as violent as the big shield was.
-do i like the new shorter shield...dont know. It is "ok". In hindsight i would have rather spent the $$ on something else

but i will keep it and try it out for a while.

Thanks to all with input on this thread. Hope all the discussion will help others out.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearview makes a reverse curve for their shields that make 15 in shield act like a 17 inch. Gives you the look nice look over the top and deflects the wind at higher speeds very nicely.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:41 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Mine fit a lot closer to the forks. Not as if that makes them beautiful. A friend rode my bike last weekend to try them and is getting a set for his Heritage.

I just put mine on the other day and they are closer also. i think this guy has his on backwards.. its easy to do, i had them backwards at first. the side lip should be going backwards, not forwards and the upper angle should be facing forward and not backward.

the wind buffeting is all but gone at higher speeds. it even makes the bike smoother and doesn't get pushed around as much by semi winds..

one thing i don't like is the top angled section of the deflectors allow a reflection of my pant legs flappin in the wind.. it probably won't be so bad with jeans, but with my work pants on, its distracting as hell..

Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 AM
HDBiga
Advanced

OP you are a big guy so I will chose my words....stop being a wimp and ride the bones without a shield!!!!! For me it is normal to have no screen and be on the highways. I'm not trying to be a tough guy, but the bones loses it's looks when you bag or shield it. IMO