Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a windshield....and i hate it

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by martinspencer
. . . .
only to find that they are not compatible with the detachable windshield mounts. This never came up in the threads; I ride a Fatboy.
Fangs fit in my fb with detach shield, no problem.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Harley makes two windshields for the Bones. You don't say yours is a Harley windshield, but I'll assume it is. I'm not tall, but I have a long torso, and I used the taller windshield with the stock seat. It seemed OK.

When I got a lower seat, the tall stock windshield was actually too tall. I looked through it which I didn't like because with my modular helmet I was looking through two pieces of plastic. But I will say it had very good wind coverage. Now when I use the low seat, I use the Harley short windshield for the Bones. It's about right. I look over it and there is some wind noise at the head, but not too much.
Two items:
Check the angle of the shield, if possible to make some sort of adjustment there,
or try a different helmet. I just bought a new helmet, and it makes a big difference to what I used before.

Another reason not to look through your windshield is in rainy conditions it can seriously obstruct your vision.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww...let the wind blow in you're face.....thats half the fun.....

Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I have the Harley shield with the quick release hardware on my Springer Classic and have the same problem. I am an inch or so taller than you. My biggest complaint about the Harley shield is the buffeting you mentioned, and the fact that it seems to direct all the wind right down the front of my collar area. Not bad in the summer but sucks in the winter when I really want the advantage of a shield.

I went to a WindVest and it works much better. Matt at Long Ride Shields is working on a shield for my bike. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to try it out. I assume that if it does the job (which I'm confidant it will) that he will more than likely start making them for sale.

I'm going to meet with him on the 27th or 28th of this month at Laughlin and will let you know how he's progressing with it. I rarely if ever use my Harley shield any more.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a good pic of mine, I have the low profile. I have it at about my chin, My Sportster was set uo the same way. This was a 550 mile trip to Laconia, half hemet and strapless glasses and nothing moves at 80 mph. Getting the height correct is key, I agree with the earlier post to raise it or lower it some. I would lower it, I hate looking through shields.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I have a WindVest that I use fur highway Trips ,, Chin - High
it Blows the Wind Over my Helmut

Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I have found that helmets make a lot of difference. I had a snap on bill on mine and had a lot of buffeting. Took it off and still have some, but much better. I have the quick detach shield on my 99 Softail Custom, and I cut it out where it fits around the head light, and lowered the whole shield down so that the lower clamps are below the bottom tripple tree. I also slotted out the top slots so that I could lean it back a little more. I have found that what wind I am getting now is coming up over the tank. Still, it is very liveable at 65 to 70, and thats good enough for me even in a 30 mph head wind.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Redder
Tourer

Thx for all the info. I took a level and the top of the shield vomes to my lower lip. So the height is ok. Im running a solo 1925. So i sit low enough. It is the hd detachable version for the bones. It is the tall one. I think i have to ditch it for yhe smaller version like gymrat has. If the low version doesnt work then im going naked again!

Ps i tried the leg thing tonight while riding and that posture (legs against the tank)got really old. Im an " air out the nads" rider!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Fangs fit in my fb with detach shield, no problem.
+1 Fangs work fine on my Deluxe.

Remember, they mount outside of the detachable windshiled hardware.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 AM
eglinski
Tourer

Originally Posted by gforrest2
+1 Fangs work fine on my Deluxe.

Remember, they mount outside of the detachable windshiled hardware.
What are fangs??

Quick Reply: Got a windshield....and i hate it