Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014 | 04:55 PM
welder1027
6th Gear

Thanks for that, will give it a try tomorrow and post results. I've ordered a new relay in the meantime just in case.

Old 08-25-2014 | 08:40 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
You might have a look at the main ignition switch on the tank. Switch it to the run/on position and wiggle it left and right a little. See if you lights and stuff come back on. That may not be it but I replaced mine because it became position sensitive. I was having almost the same symptoms as you describe..
You can take the ignition switch apart, its only held together by a snap ring. The internal contacts get gummed up, the factory grease turns hard. You can clean it out and brighten up the contacts with some emery cloth. This fixed my no electrical problem on two bikes.

However, OP, in my case the bike wouldn't run along with no lights/flashers/etc. Since yours runs I doubt this is your trouble, but it's free and easy to clean the switch out and see if it helps.

Old 08-26-2014 | 08:15 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
You can take the ignition switch apart, its only held together by a snap ring. The internal contacts get gummed up, the factory grease turns hard. You can clean it out and brighten up the contacts with some emery cloth. This fixed my no electrical problem on two bikes.

However, OP, in my case the bike wouldn't run along with no lights/flashers/etc. Since yours runs I doubt this is your trouble, but it's free and easy to clean the switch out and see if it helps.
In my case, the switch was simply worn out. The hard stop in the on position had worn, allowing the switch to travel a little too far and thus break electrical contact. It wasn't much, but enough. That's why I suggested the wiggle test. The reason I know ths is I took the old one apart to diagnose it..

Old 08-26-2014 | 12:01 PM
welder1027
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
In my case, the switch was simply worn out. The hard stop in the on position had worn, allowing the switch to travel a little too far and thus break electrical contact. It wasn't much, but enough. That's why I suggested the wiggle test. The reason I know ths is I took the old one apart to diagnose it..
After a day of head scratching and even a trip to the local HD, I finally found the problem. It was a loose pin on the ACCY Fuse terminal, fixed this and now everything is back to normal again.

Old 08-26-2014 | 12:12 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Thanks for te follow up. That doesn't always happen. And, Glad it was something simple!

Old 08-26-2014 | 12:14 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I should have realized that...when my ignition switch got corroded all I had power to were items on the ACC setting of the switch, which I realized were items on the Aux fuse...I should have connected those dots, when I just re-read your first post I realized the connection was those items are all powered by the Aux fuse.

Darn it well next time I'll remember it and I'm sure you will too and maybe we can help somebody else. I see these problems a fair amount on here, normally ignition switch or main breaker it seems.

Old 08-27-2014 | 03:37 PM
welder1027
6th Gear

A simple fix in the end but a nightmare to find, I'm not very good with electrics so well chuffed to have got it sorted now. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-27-2014 | 04:08 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Well, the good news is, since you described your symptoms pretty clearly, and you bothered to finish the thread with the solution (which I applaud, many folks never finish a thread), your solution will come up in a well placed Google search so your trials and tribulations may serve to help another Harley Brother. So there is that bright side. Not that it's much consolation...lol