Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this normal for fuel injected bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take off the gas cap, turn the ignition on, and hit the run/stop without hitting the start button, you probably will hear gas splashing around. That's the gas spraying out of the pin hole in the line. I replaced mine with Gaites submersible fuel line (About $40 for 2 1 foot pieces) and fuel injector clamps and it's running like a champ. Took me about an hour to do.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Hot Rod, I had the same thing happen the other day. I was leaning hard on a curve and the bike sputtered. Looked at the fuel gauge and I only had one LED light on (flush fuel gauge) stopped at the gas station on the next corner and I pumped 4.6 gal into a 5 gal tank. Hasn't happened again so I'm assuming that it was because of low fuel.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Hey Hot Rod, I had the same thing happen the other day. I was leaning hard on a curve and the bike sputtered. Looked at the fuel gauge and I only had one LED light on (flush fuel gauge) stopped at the gas station on the next corner and I pumped 4.6 gal into a 5 gal tank. Hasn't happened again so I'm assuming that it was because of low fuel.
It happens on slight inclines too which is why I thought low fuel was causing it to cut out/sputter. But everyone here says that a injected bike should not being doing this regardless of turns/uphill. I think Im gonna have it checked out just to be safe. Thanks man

Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 AM
chiefe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem, sputtered when fuel was low and when bike was inclined. Guess what pinhole in the fuel inlet line. Think about, as soon as the bike is inclined the fuel flows towards the rear of the tank and the pump starts sucking air. Wasn't a hard fix at all, a small piece of fuel hose, a couple of clamps and about an hour of your time.
Cheers!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

As soon as the fuel line is not completely submerged in gas, the fuel line for the fuel pump starts to suck air which explains why it does it on an incline.

Drew