Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Straightshots Full - Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 AM
NHFatBoyLo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Straightshots Full - Info

Hey Everyone, as with many others on the forums I have been hunting an exhaust for my Fat Boy Lo that will have a look and a sound that will please me and keep my wife happy. I have been hunting high and low for an exhaust: all the brands sites, forums, online stores, anywhere and everywhere. Long story short, the V&H Straightshots full exhaust seem to be the only exhaust we can agree on.
However before I get them I wanted to know why nobody else seems to have them. I know they are a true 2 to 2 system so the performance is not going to be as good as a 2 into 1 or crossover system. I want something kind of old school but not if it drives me into buying an exhaust that is going make me hate myself in the end.
I have heard a plethora of V&H pipes (Short Shots, BS Staggered, Long Shots, Big Radius) in person and my wife and I like the sound. But I have not heard the Straightshots in person. I fear they will have a different sound since they do not have the power chamber. Also, there are very few videos/sound clips of the full system out there. I have found 1 of decent quality.
Has anyone had any experience with the Straightshots full system? I am not interested in the slip-ons as part of the goal of the new exhaust is to move the top exhaust pipe below the passenger foot peg.
Ride on!
NH

Old 04-14-2011, 06:03 AM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my WG with the original baffles and love them! Here's a vid but my digicam couldn't handle the noise so it's a bit deceiving. They sound much better in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDK7NvObVg

Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The straightshots are great. Had them put on my 05 Train when I bought it, and just recently switched them out for a set of black Exile shotguns. I loved the sound, they have a nice low rumble, not a lot of high end noise, and just seem to growl as you're going down the road. I put a little over 40k miles on them with no finish or corrosion issues at all. You won't be disappointed in the purchase. If anyone knows if my old 05 Train pipes will fit your new FB, then pm me and we can work out a deal to get them out of my garage!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will work on a Fatboy LO, but he has to either run a PC-V so he can get rid of the O2 sensors, or take them to an exhaust shop and have bungs for the sensors welded in. Unless your 05 is EFI and has O2 sensors.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is EFI, but it was the year before the o2 sensors, so he would have to have them added.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like a staggered exhaust, but not that big of stagger.. and they didnt come stock in black, so the BSS'd:Black was the way i went but if you like them, all power to you

Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 795 Posts

Have you checked out Bub Exhaust? They have some nice 2-2 systems. And if you like V/H, you might check out Python Exhaust through Drag Specialties...as they're made by V/H and are easier on the budget but equal quality.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
NHFatBoyLo
Advanced
Originally Posted by O.F.
I have them on my WG with the original baffles and love them! Here's a vid but my digicam couldn't handle the noise so it's a bit deceiving. They sound much better in person.
Thanks for the vid! Being able to get the sound is tough but I get idea.

Originally Posted by jreichart
It is EFI, but it was the year before the o2 sensors, so he would have to have them added.
Thanks but after shipping and paying for the welding I'm probably better off getting new, but I'll ask around and if anyone is interested I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Have you checked out Bub Exhaust? They have some nice 2-2 systems. And if you like V/H, you might check out Python Exhaust through Drag Specialties...as they're made by V/H and are easier on the budget but equal quality.
Thanks for the suggestions but I/we have looked at all those. I really like the Bub Sidecutters but legs may get toasty and liked the Samson Street Sweepers but they would most likely scrape a lot. The Pythons that I have heard just don't have the sound I'm looking for.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 AM
NHFatBoyLo
Advanced

Originally Posted by jreichart
I loved the sound, they have a nice low rumble, not a lot of high end noise, and just seem to growl as you're going down the road.
That's what I want!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

I think you'll be happy with any of the V&H pipes. But I'd recommend putting in the quiet baffles when you get them. It brings the rumble tone down deeper and takes out a little of the tinny sound. If you like the look of the Straightshots then go for it.

Quick Reply: V&H Straightshots Full - Info