Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked or clear tail lens

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:47 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Smoked or clear tail lens

ORIGINAL: FBoy06

Citoriplus,
What are the model numbers for the front and rear Silverstars. I have the clear lenses on the front and rear turn signals.
Thanks
No problem, the fronts are 1157A, and the rears are 1156A, good old fashioned standard bayonet base turn signal bulbs.
Your going to like them, especially at night.

BTW They are not cheap running about $5 or so a pair, but if we had wanted cheap bikes we wouldn't have bought Harley's, would we. On the plus side I have been using the same type bulbs (3157A version) in the front of my Ranger pickup truck since I got it about 4 1/2 years ago. They have worked faithfully for the last 290,000 miles without even one failing.

Don't forget to use a little dielectric grease on the base to waterproof it or any water that gets in will corrode the socket and give you trouble later.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:50 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on getting clear lenses and LED bulbs that look clear when off but light up amber when on. I think it will look clean on my FatBoy...

Old 10-21-2006, 05:02 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

The LED's are really nice, but be careful of them there are a lot of junk ones out there. Especially on evil-bay. Your also going to need a load equilizer or the flasher function will not operate properly. It can also cause problems for you if you have the factory security system. They can make the little key symbol stay lit up all the time.
So I would suggest you get them from someplace like Kuryakyn. They will be able to sell you a setup that won't give you any problems.

I wanna see pics of it when your done.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor. Don't get the bulb LED's. They aren't very bright and they might not even fit. I bought a set the way the base of it was made did not allow it to seat into the socket. I ended up getting LED clusters from Radiantz. Very bright and no problem with fit. They also have a 5 year warranty against LED failure. They are more pricey than the bulbs but worth it IMO.

Name:  rack1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  88.0 KB

This is how bright they are without the brakes being applied
Name:  lights2.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  41.5 KB

From 100ft away with just running lights
Name:  lights3.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  7.1 KB

ORIGINAL: PhantomMaxx

I plan on getting clear lenses and LED bulbs that look clear when off but light up amber when on. I think it will look clean on my FatBoy...

Old 10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: Monstermile
Do yourself a favor. Don't get the bulb LED's. They aren't very bright and they might not even fit. I bought a set the way the base of it was made did not allow it to seat into the socket. I ended up getting LED clusters from Radiantz. Very bright and no problem with fit. They also have a 5 year warranty against LED failure. They are more pricey than the bulbs but worth it IMO.
I would have to agree with Monstermile, I had (still in my parts box) a pair of LED bulbs that I tested in my truck a couple of years ago. They fit, barely, but they were a major disapointment in that they were not even as bright as common incandesent, and Sylvania Silverstars out performed them in both looks and brightness.
Radiantz or Kuryakyn are both good brands with reputations for decent products and what's better is that they stand behind them. If I wasn't suffering from that dreaded Italian sickness known as "Fundsalow". I might already have a complete set of them.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: Monstermile
If I wasn't suffering from that dreaded Italian sickness known as "Fundsalow". I might already have a complete set of them.
All too familiar with that condition. 60 days with no paycheck is a pain.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
FBoy06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Went to Auto Zone today and picked up the amber Silverstars. They do look much better than the standard amber bulbs. Price was about 6 bucks each. I'll probably change out the taillight next and then the driving lights and headlight. Thanks for the info Citoriplus.

Name:  Harleymar005.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  95.2 KB

Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

They look really nice when the bike is parked and turned off. They have that bluish chrome look to them that disn't show up well in the pictures I took. Seems like the camera's flash made them look like they had some amber in them that you can't see in ordinary daylight.
Wait till you try them out at night, your in for a treat. They are much brighter than the original incandecent bulbs. So its kinda fun seeing a parking sign with that white reflective backround on the side of the road blinking at you from a block or more away.

BTW Fboy06 I love those wheels, been wondering how I can convince the wife that I need one of the black and chrome 21" versions for the front of my Custom. How do you like the V&H pipes you have on there? I'm sorta in the market for some new pipes, but I like the look of the original "taper" mufflers. Been looking at Khrome Werks slip ons because they make a taper version that looks like the originals. Do you know of anyone who has a set?

Old 10-21-2006, 10:33 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: Yellotang
All too familiar with that condition. 60 days with no paycheck is a pain.
OUCH, been there my friend and it sucks, big time. Hope things get going again for you soon.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 AM
FBoy06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW Fboy06 I love those wheels, been wondering how I can convince the wife that I need one of the black and chrome 21" versions for the front of my Custom. How do you like the V&H pipes you have on there? I'm sorta in the market for some new pipes, but I like the look of the original "taper" mufflers. Been looking at Khrome Werks slip ons because they make a taper version that looks like the originals. Do you know of anyone who has a set?
I like the V&H pipes a lot. The only problem I'm having right now is with the V&H fuel pak. The bike is running too rich. I think I am going to order a Power Commander.