Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked or clear tail lens

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 PM
cj9581
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smoked or clear tail lens

I have the LED smoked taillight on my Nighttrain. It is very bright (red) at night and was very easy to install. Just plugs right in and gave my bobber fender a flush look to it. Was the best $90 i spent

Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

D'oh. I have some learning to do reagarding these taillights and stuff.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Kuryakyn has a set up that will have your turn signals act as brake light also, hit the brake they will flash three times and the brake light will be on along with the turn signals acting as brake lights also it gives great visibility you will have to change the turn signals to red lens

Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the smoked turn signal lenses w/orange bulbs front and back (I also relocated my front turn signals from the bars down to the forks) but I kept the stock red brake light lens...the orange bulb is clearly visible through the smoked lenses at night and IMO they look better with the chrome "bullet" signal housings than the orange lenses.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

On my Heritage I have the clear front turn lenses with amber bulbs and on the back clear with red " glass " bulbs so they don`t fade to pink . Also have it set up so my rear turn signals come on with the brake light . Alot more safer so the cages know I`m stopping . HD has the plug in to turn your turn signals into brake lights. My .02

Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the clear lenses with Silverstar bulbs. When its parked the bulbs look a little like blued chrome, but are VERY bright amber when turned on.

This is what they look like off.

Name:  IMG_3144.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  49.6 KB

And this is the turn signal looks like in front when they are turned on.

My photography skills leave a lot to be desired, but they should give a decent idea of what they look like.

BTW the reason you use a red or amber bulb with a like colored lens is because the lens acts as a filter.
It filters out all but the same (or very close) frequency of light. So if you were to put something like a blue bulb behind a red lens in theory NO light would show at all. But no lens, or colored bulb is that frequency specific so some light always shows through.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I have the clear lenses with Silverstar bulbs. When its parked the bulbs look a little like blued chrome, but are VERY bright amber when turned on.

This is what they look like off.

And this is the turn signal looks like in front when they are turned on.

My photography skills leave a lot to be desired, but they should give a decent idea of what they look like.

BTW the reason you use a red or amber bulb with a like colored lens is because the lens acts as a filter.
It filters out all but the same (or very close) frequency of light. So if you were to put something like a blue bulb behind a red lens in theory NO light would show at all. But no lens, or colored bulb is that frequency specific so some light always shows through.
Way cool!

Wow, now I feel smarter.

So if I ran the clear lens with any color they would be fine.

What is more noticable, amber or red flashing turn signals? Is it legal to use red turn signals? If I go clear turn signal lens then I should add the most noticable bulb color. Unless of couse I use the set up like you have. Which really looks good.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:54 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

Way cool!

Wow, now I feel smarter.

So if I ran the clear lens with any color they would be fine.

What is more noticable, amber or red flashing turn signals? Is it legal to use red turn signals? If I go clear turn signal lens then I should add the most noticable bulb color. Unless of couse I use the set up like you have. Which really looks good.
You can put in any color behind clear or frosted lenses and they will show the bulbs color. However, in some states its illegal to use any color other than yellow or amber for the front turn signal and white or yellow/amber for other lights in front. In the rear I believe that its legal in all states to use red or amber for turn signals, otherwise my truck would be illegal from the factory with its red turn/brake lights. Amber, as well as any other color other than red is probably illegal in all states when used as brake lights.
Gotta be careful of colors, here in NY they get testy if you are running those windshield washer lights if they are anything but white or amber. My son got a ticket for the blue ones he had on his Neon when he forgot to turn them off as he was leaving a cruise night with friends.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:04 AM
FBoy06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Citoriplus,
What are the model numbers for the front and rear Silverstars. I have the clear lenses on the front and rear turn signals.
Thanks

Old 10-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will post pic as soon as I mod the bike. Looks like the 31st is the day that whis will happen.

Quick Reply: Smoked or clear tail lens