Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you don't do your own service-READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque stripe works well also

Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I do all my own work so this doesn't apply to me... But it sure sucks that you can't trust some folks to do what you pay them for.

I would like to think that these are exceptions and most shops are honest.

You know the old saying - If you want something done right, do it yourself. Not always true, but the saying didn't develop out of thin air either.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, one of my CVMA bros and I were having this same conversation today. He was taking a sportbike into a shop to get the valves adjusted. He marked the bolts on the covers that needed to be removed. When he picked i up, he went straight to the bike, looked at the bolts and straight back to the service counter. Before he pointed out the marks, he straight up asked them if they actually went into the motor. They said yes and got pissy with him for questioning them. He took the service manager out to the bike and asked him again. When the guy said yes, he pointed out the marks he had made and asked him one last time.......

Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O
Originally Posted by HDfueler
I have been wrenching on these machines since I was 15-now I'm 45-in my own shop. I just wanted to throw this out for your perusal. I am SICK of opening up chaincases and clutch covers only to find out I'm the FIRST one to actually check the ****. If you don't KNOW your mechanic, try putting some clear fingernail polish in a few of the screw heads holding the inspection covers in place. If they charge you for a full service, the polish should be busted up where they used (in most cases a T27) their tools on the fastener to truly adjust your chain and clutch.
Rampant? You have NO idea-it's at LEAST 7 out of every 10 bikes! If you can't see it and it's not making noise, they will let it go until it becomes a problem, and then they'll tell you it's not a warranty issue and slap you with a Godless bill. These bikes are INCREDIBLY dependable-it's the so-called "techs" that are failing you.
I've been wrenching 43 yrs now...and you are right. Ive caught dealer reps lying when confronted with evidence of fraud. I don't even go back for warranty issues.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default checking

I bought my first Harley when i was seventeen. A brand new sporster $1650 out the door. I brought it in for service one day and decided to put a dime right under the kick stand back then no electric start. when i went back the dime was right were i placed it no way you could have started the bike and that dime not move it was kick start. I jumped all over the tech he told me some crap that both he and the owner both thought each other had done it.they do not touch it unless it really needs it that's bull i want every thing done i pay for. I do not trust them at all good post on the nail polish

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same trick to a Chevy dealer once. He said that was a damned dirty trick. I told him theft was punishable by law and got all my money back.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HDfueler is so right. This is exactly the reason I do all my own wrenching. I took my 07 Softie in for it's "free" 1000 mile service. They were supposed to change all fluids and check torques. Yeah right! After I rode it home (5 miles) I decided to switch out the factory trans fluid for Spectro Platinum 6 speed gear oil. The amount of metal flecks in the trans oil made it obvious that they had not changed the fluid. I did not confront them on it, but they have never seen my bike since then....

Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
lol, one of my CVMA bros and I were having this same conversation today. He was taking a sportbike into a shop to get the valves adjusted. He marked the bolts on the covers that needed to be removed. When he picked i up, he went straight to the bike, looked at the bolts and straight back to the service counter. Before he pointed out the marks, he straight up asked them if they actually went into the motor. They said yes and got pissy with him for questioning them. He took the service manager out to the bike and asked him again. When the guy said yes, he pointed out the marks he had made and asked him one last time.......
Well, what did the tech say then?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My trick, is to always tell them I want the old parts back.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
My trick, is to always tell them I want the old parts back.
parts is parts, how do you know they're yours?

Quick Reply: If you don't do your own service-READ!!!