Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding led accent lights ...Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM
tnhd06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding led accent lights ...Tips?

Adding some custom dynamic stingzer lights this weekend (blue) .. got them from my wife for my birthday. Anything I need to know that the directions don't already tell me?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Redder
Tourer

Yes - i think blue LEDs are illegal in some areas (red and blue because those are emergency colors)

not 100% sure but you may want to check your local laws.

Im sure the Peoples Republic if California has some pinko commie law about those things.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redder
Yes - i think blue LEDs are illegal in some areas (red and blue because those are emergency colors)

Im sure the Peoples Republic if California has some pinko commie law about those things.
It's legal in TX as long as you don't strobe or flash them riding down the road.

What really cool is when your lights know how to dance to the beat!!!!

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0148.mp4
Check this out

Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
It's legal in TX as long as you don't strobe or flash them riding down the road.

What really cool is when your lights know how to dance to the beat!!!!

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0148.mp4
Check this out
Dude, that's a riot! Or should I say, Magic Man!? Looks like your bike is singing to you! Never thought I'd say it, but that was kinda cool. Lmfao

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redder

Yep no blue lights on our vehicles, though we can have handle bars 6" above the shoulders unlike those free states that allow only 15" above the seat... like Georgia.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser

I have lights on my bike, and I do installs for my customers. I tell everybody the same thing, "these lights are not legal to use while on a public roadway.....in any state" thats why I put a switch on them. Turn them off if in doubt!
Accent lighting is for bike nights or shows where you are on private property. Most LEOs will let you get away with them on the public roads, so long as you are not flashing them or just being an azz on the roads.
I ride with my blue LEDs glowing all the time, only once have I been asked to turn them off (by a police officer) to which I quickly complied. He didn't even bother to pull me over, just asked me politely at a red light to turn them off. No reasoning by him, no questioning by me, just turned them off, and a few blocks later, turned them back on.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM
AW SNAP
Advanced

I know they are illigal in Illinois. I have them on my 350Z and have been stopped more then once. I will be adding them to my Duece soon.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything other than amber and red are illegal in Colorado. Had green turn signals on a truck back in the day and was told by an officer no colored lights, those are for emergency vehicles, flashing or solid, didn't matter. Put them on the lawn mower lol

Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default lights

on the tech end i put a bead of black silicone around them where the light meets the surface they are mounted to. I wash my bike and this keeps the double stick tape from getting wet which will have them come loose it also helps keep them less visible. thing is with these lights you want to position them so that the light it self is not visible all i want to be seen is the light they produce. when they are placed correctly all you see is this nice glow. i have seen way to many placed incorrectly and they do not come close to looking as good as when they are done right. next time you go to a friendly local bike show and shine take a look at the bikes with lights and you will see what i am talking about. the bead keeps the side of the light from being seen even when placed correctly some time the side of the light makes it more visible especially on the Harley leds i do not know to much about other brands

Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
tnhd06
Advanced

Thanks Nikon for the info... Where did you get your seat? And rail... That is sweet!

Quick Reply: Adding led accent lights ...Tips?