Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:46 PM
fatking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down oil light on

i have a 1998 softail about 30000 miles. coming home from work today i stopped at my mailbox and noticed the oil light on so coasted down the driveway to the shop i checked the oil tank its full of oil i cranked it briefly to see if i could tell if the fluid in the tank was moving and i couldnt tell and the oil light was still on so now how do i tell if its my oil pump, clogged line, or something else also how hard is to pull the pump apart and what do i need to look for i have the service manual and it doesnt look that hard. thanks for any help

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I would check for codes and see what comes up.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

DO NOT run it any further. You may have sheared the keyway on the oil pump drive shaft. you're going to have to pull the nose cone off brother. The manual is your friend....

Mike

Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
fatking
Advanced

i was afraid of that just hopeing i could find a miricle worker or somebody that can do magic lol thanks alot

Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
fatking
Advanced

second question how do i flush out all the old oil to make sure that there is no trash in it i just changed my oil and filter about 2 monthes ago and have not put but about 300 miles on it since the oil change

Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,314 Likes on 5,873 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I would check for codes and see what comes up.

Pretty good trick on a 98...lol. First, is it on just at idle, or when you rev it up. Evos have very little to no oil pressure at idle when they are at operating temperature. Before you you start tearing your bike apart looking for problems you probably don't have... go buy an oil pressure gauge and see what kind of oil pressure you really have...it could be just an bad sending unit for the light. My Evo runs 30 psi or better cold at idle...but my trusty Arlen Ness gauge plainly says 1 or 2 psi at idle when it gets hot...partly due to the low idle I run ...for the last 15 years.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd take the spark plugs out so it cranks easy but won't start, then take the oil pressure sending unit out & see if it pumps oil out the hole when you hit the starter. Most of time on tractors or automoboles, the sending unit goes bad.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
fatking
Advanced
Thumbs down update

ok heres a update i pulled the oil pump and there was a small piece of metal inbetween the return gears and the side of the wall is scared so now where did the metal come from and how do flush the old oil out to make sure there is no more metal thanks alot bros yal are being a real big help

Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
fatking
Advanced

one more thing where is a good place to buy a good oil pump cheap lol

Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

If your Oil Pump ingested something metal, you've got far more serious issues than just an Oil Pump. Until you find where that piece of metal came from you'd best not be running that engine. Whatever it is, and wherever it came from, you can bet sure as $h!t that it isn't going to get better with just a new oil pump.

Quick Reply: oil light on