Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console kit HD 71208-07 (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:09 AM
Forge
|
Road Captain
Default Console kit HD 71208-07 (pics)

Before I start to take stuff apart. I did search the forums but with not much help. Thanks in advance for any help. So at a swap meet a couple weeks ago I pickup the main part of the HD Console Kit (pn 71208-07) for a very good price.

some of the parts of the kit were gone like the bezel. I went to the HD site and downloaded the pdf directions/parts list http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04166.pdf

Based on the parts list I order the rest of the pieces I need. All the part numbers match. Looking at the parts I am unsure if the bezel will work (it is the correct part based on the pn in the HD directions). On the bezel there is a threaded winged flange (not sure what it is exactly called). Basically threaded screw hole with wings. I am confused on how this is supposed to line up with the main console…there is a notch cut out of the end but when I lay the bezel on and it does not line up correctly (other holes line up)…half the screw hole is on the tip of the console… Am I just missing something?--or does it all just go together once the speedo gasket is put on?

I have rechecked all the part numbers and they are correct…it looks like the flange piece has to line up on the cut out on the top of the console.

Anybody who has installed this kit or has it on their bike…advice or a pic of the top part of the bezel/console would be great.

Attached Thumbnails Console kit HD 71208-07 (pics)-bezel.jpg   Console kit HD 71208-07 (pics)-end2.jpg   Console kit HD 71208-07 (pics)-end3.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011 | 09:24 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Looks right. Mine has the hole that hangs off the front of the console like your pic. Always thought it was weird too.

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:28 AM
Forge
|
Road Captain
Default Odd

Originally Posted by WARG
Looks right. Mine has the hole that hangs off the front of the console like your pic. Always thought it was weird too.
So does the screw you put in actually hold anything or is it just for looks?

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:34 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

That winged bezel goes on the top center bolt of the dash. It does nothing but look pretty.

Drew

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:34 AM
CJinNH
Cruiser

I am looking at picking up that console too, please post some pics when you're done! Am I mistaken or does the HD parts guide say that the console is not compatible with the skull gas caps...like it is in that pic. Sweet looking console-does it come complete when purchased as a whole? (I mean with new ignition switch or do you reuse the existing?)

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:48 AM
Forge
|
Road Captain
Default Winged Bezel

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
That winged bezel goes on the top center bolt of the dash. It does nothing but look pretty.

Drew
So does the winged part go completely on the outside of the console or does it sit on top of it (when I lay it on there---if you look down thru the threads the edge of the console falls in the middle of the threads)?

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:49 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

It does not fit into a hole if that is what you are asking. At the top of the dash there is a cutaway for that part of the bezel.

Drew

Old 04-07-2011 | 01:32 PM
Forge
|
Road Captain
Default Flange

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It does not fit into a hole if that is what you are asking. At the top of the dash there is a cutaway for that part of the bezel.

Drew
Does the flange sit flush on the outside--inside or on top of the console?

You wouldn't happen to have any picks of it?

thanks

Old 04-07-2011 | 02:57 PM
IceColdDeluxe
Cruiser

It does not sit flush. It just sits where it sits. You're overthinking it. I just did this mod last weekend. Just line up the other holes and crank everything down and you'll be set. You won't be disappointed either, the dash looks great.

Old 04-07-2011 | 03:01 PM
Forge
|
Road Captain
Default Just sits

Originally Posted by IceColdDeluxe
It does not sit flush. It just sits where it sits. You're overthinking it. I just did this mod last weekend. Just line up the other holes and crank everything down and you'll be set. You won't be disappointed either, the dash looks great.
Will do. Just seems odd it would be designed like that. Thanks Ice.