Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Bike Details that are often over looked!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Brett, give us a Update on how that Pen works. Also, all you guys needin the FLat black, duplicolor makes that also. The reason I use the Duplicolor is, when it dries it looks real smooth, if you take your time. Sometimes its not all about the "FLASH" or how much you have done to your sled that matters. Sometimes the little stuff really makes people turn their heads. Especially when you enter shows. Like I told Jim, judges in shows, I mean Quality shows, Judges look at DETAILS, alot more often than you think. Ive detailed 8 Best of Show Winners. If your serious about winning and not just placing, Step back and take a pic of your bike from the Ground. You will notice ALOT of bolts that can be painted, if you see if, chances are the Judges will see it also. Its simple and easy to paint these bolts also, just take your time, dont get frustrated. It will make all the difference. And for you guys that like all the BLING, painted frame bolts Etc, will make all that Chrome really stick out. Because its all chrome on a BLACK background.

Oh, thanks Jim for all the props bro, well are all here to help each other. I just want to see some trophy pics in the near future Jim

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
Rear sproket bolts need to be done flat black to match the sprocket. Gloss black bolt heads stick out worse then the plated bolt because the eye will accept contrasting color because it's normal to see a plated bolt that way.

It's not usual to see flat black and gloss black like that so the eye will not see it as normal.
He stated he didn't see flat black that's why he went with the gloss, and to me it looks like black caps on the bolts. Doesn't distract from the look, but that's just my opinion. I think it looks good, but yes done in flat black would blend in a little better.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
Is the Slamd LO pinstripe or paint?
Looks great BTW.....Well done!
Isn't pinstriping normally paint?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Country, I will let you guys know on the pen...those paint pens can be hit or miss though. I haven't used the hd ones, nor used one on a bike, but I have seen them work good or be a huge mess...i should have ordered the gloss one while I was ordering the texture

Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Can't edit from my smart phone, so as I have thoughts, I am having to start separate posts...i have thought about using gloss black one shot and a script brush or a small striping brush since they are easier to control than the ones in the touch up bottles. If I do, I will update you guys on the results....

Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I did a bunch of the bolts on my Lo with Testors model paint, some loosened and others I removed to paint. So far it is holding up very well. Used the standard gloss and flat black.

Of course looking at the pics, I am pretty sure I have some more to paint .

Last edited by harleyfiremedic; 07-15-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
cryan9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah those strut bolts stick out like a sore thumb. I painted mine too a while back. I also painted the shift linkage. Another thing I did that was cheap was rattle can the part of the riser clamp bolts what are seen from the top of the clamp. I then bought some of the chrome hex bolt plugs and plugged up the allen holes. Looks clean I will post some pics.