Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail BCM Recall, how did it go for you, not so good for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got one on my bike as well.

The recall is for bikes with security systems. But to be safe MoCo decided to recall all bikes made within the time period so that everything was accounted for and done properly.

Sounds like a wrong BCM. There are 2 different ones. One for factory security, and the other for not.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Pdiddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 Deluxe and I received a BCM recall. I don't have a security system or ABS. Went to the dealer and the part will be coming in.

Originally Posted by Jaburg1
The recall only had to do with bikes that have a security system installed from the factory.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,724 Likes on 792 Posts

[QUOTE=FatBoyVeteran;8144215]Got one on my bike as well.

The recall is for bikes with security systems. But to be safe MoCo decided to recall all bikes made within the time period so that everything was accounted for and done properly./QUOTE]

Not to be disrespectful, but your statement is not entirely correct. Quoting the recall letter, "Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2011 Softail family vehicles built through 10/8/10, as well as other 2011 Softail models which have had a certain "Security System Kit" (shipped to dealers through 9/29/10) installed as an accessory."

Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talldog
Just wondering, for those of you that had to bring in your bike to the dealer to have the BCM recall done, did you have any problems?

I brought in my Heritage last Thursday for the recall. When I went to start the bike after it was done, the bike would start, but then immediately die. Turns out that the Tech forgot to "marry" the BCM with the bikes computer after he switched BCM's.

So, no problem, everyone makes mistakes, after the Tech did some more work on the computer, the bike started and ran fine and off I went.

Just noticed this morning though that the Security System isn't working, the bike will start without the Fob being present

So, gotta bring it back tomorrow. Trying to give the dealership and the Tech the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, after tomorrow, all will be good.

Lesson here is....NEVER take it to a dealer again ....ever. Stay away from them.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiad
Lesson here is....NEVER take it to a dealer again ....ever. Stay away from them.
LOL, I do most all of my own work on the bike, but I didn't have much of a choice with this recall.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, update, I just got back from the dealer and they still couldn't get the Security System to work. They think that the replacement BCM is bad.

Said they double checked to make sure they replaced the BCM with the right part # to work with the Security System.

Gotta bring it back when they get another BCM in.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Update,

Gotta hand it the the Service Manager, he was honest and admitted he ordered the wrong BCM. Said he followed Harley's instructions for the recall, but something got screwed up.

Anyway, had the correct BCM installed yesterday and all is good now. Security system works again. Only thing I had to do was re-program the code so I can start the bike without the FOB if I ever need to.

I'm a happy banana again!!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Yendor1982
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 BCM Recall

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble getting the replacement BCM. My bike has stalled in traffic one time and the local dealership is haveing trouble getting the replacement BCM from Harley. It has been about 2 months.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yendor1982
Just wondering if anyone has had trouble getting the replacement BCM. My bike has stalled in traffic one time and the local dealership is haveing trouble getting the replacement BCM from Harley. It has been about 2 months.
Mine was done a while ago, but it did take a little while for the dealer to get the correct BCM.

I would think that the dealer would try to rush yours since you're having problems.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Yendor1982
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yendor1982

Thanks Talldog, My bike went in the shop today. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Quick Reply: Softail BCM Recall, how did it go for you, not so good for me.