Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishtail / Dual exhaust owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Jmarin9485
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishtail / Dual exhaust owners

Any of you guys ever have any trouble backing into curbs? I live in the city and am always backing in and parking on the street. I love the look and sound of the samson true duals with the fishtail mufflers but am hesitant that my exhaust would be hitting the curb before my tire. Wish they had a model that had something a few inches shorter than 23.5 mufflers. Any suggestions or comments are helpful.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Los Angeles and am running 39" longtails...

Bottom line, you absolutely do need to be a lot more contentious about parking and pulling in and out of parking lots. It's a little more work to find the right spot to park or to pull into and out of driveways...but well worth the trade off IMHO.

Once you get used to it, it's really no biggy.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have V&H true duals and my tire hits the curb first. I guess you will have to be careful when backing in with the long samsons.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been lucky so far with my V&Hs ... curbs here are high to deal with the water during rainy season ...

Also sometimes the pipes will clear the curb, but then when you put the bike on the side stand the left pipe will ground out.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I ran 36" fishtails for a while and live smack dab in the middle of the city. I learned to be careful how far i backed up when parking in between cars which is really the only way to park a lot of places I go. The funny thing is the pipes were so long that my front wheel almsot alwyas stuck out about a foot beyond all the cars. Just pay attention when backing into a spot.

Drew

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
ramirez0228
Cruiser

I first ran 33" Samson Fish Tails and did not have much up a problem. I then decided to go longer and went with the 36" mini cholos and now have to be more careful backing up to curbs and going up drive ways. But, now wished I went with the full 39" cholos....Bottome line, at times you compromise for the look of the ride and just have to be careful...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ultimately, I plan on going with a set of samson duals, I was mulling some stuff over today and remembered that you have to change the shift linkage with the samsons. I have forward controls with 3" extensions. Obviously the stock shifter linkage had to be swapped for a longer one, and when I switched to aftermarket, I had to get a shift linkage for a dyna. Does anyone know if Samson has a linkage that will work, or of where to get one. If someone could post up some pics with measurements of the linkage that samson provides with the duals. I am a little ways away from chaning over exhaust, but if I end up having to get a linkage made, I don't want to be stuck waiting for it.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
SMF
Banned

The 23.5 won't hit the curb at all if I remember correct I don't think that even the 28 will I have never hit with my 39"s but aye it's about you bring carefully

Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jmarin9485
Any of you guys ever have any trouble backing into curbs? I live in the city and am always backing in and parking on the street. I love the look and sound of the samson true duals with the fishtail mufflers but am hesitant that my exhaust would be hitting the curb before my tire. Wish they had a model that had something a few inches shorter than 23.5 mufflers. Any suggestions or comments are helpful.
The 23.5" long fishtails do not hit the curb. We made them this short for this reason. We do our best to cover all bases.
Thank you,
JR / SAMSON

Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Running 33" Samson duals now and I have not backed into a curb or anything yet. I am really careful backing up with them. Also if I have my air ride all the way up they are a lot less likely to hit anything.

I have barley dragged them twice leaving the driveway of my house the first week I had them. Now I know not to fly out of my driveway or just put more air in my Shotguns.

Quick Reply: Fishtail / Dual exhaust owners