Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
rockchalk08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Rim

I just started getting a wobble in the front wheel, especially 65 mph or greater. I took a closer look at my front wheel, inspecting the spokes and rim, and noticed a "dent" in the front rim. Dont know if the dent shows up in the pics, but a couple of questions:

-Will a dent in the rim cause wobble at certain speeds?

-Are dents like this fixable, or will I have to buy a new wheel?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Bent Rim-bent-rim.jpg   Bent Rim-bent-rim2.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You can usually get a new hoop put on it. I never had a bent rim like that but i would imagine it might affect way the bike handles. How far is your bike lowered in the front? What kind of air pressure are you running in the tires? What kind of lowering kit do you have in the front? Are you riding two up?

Drew

Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
rockchalk08
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
You can usually get a new hoop put on it. I never had a bent rim like that but i would imagine it might affect way the bike handles. How far is your bike lowered in the front? What kind of air pressure are you running in the tires? What kind of lowering kit do you have in the front? Are you riding two up?

Drew
Not lowered/36psi/no lowering kit/solo

How does the cost of having a wheel built compare to buying a new wheel?

If I do need to replace the wheel, I'd like to replace with something comparable to the stock wheel. Are there any manufacturers you'd suggest?

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have never seen that happen with the exception of a friend who had his bike lowered 2" in front and a DNA rim on his bike. The same thing happened twice. He would ride 2 up quite often and large pot holes are what caused his rim to bend. This has me scratching my head as to how it happened.

Anyone who knows me knows that I like Ride Wright rims. I am not sure what the cost would be to get a new rim and get it relaced, but i am sure it is cheaper than a new rim. On the bright side, now you have an excuse to get a new set of wheels.

Drew

Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
rockchalk08
Cruiser

I'm guessing pothole, but I have no idea.

You're "on the bright side" was pretty funny (until I saw how much Ride Wright wheels are..)

I gotta think thats whats causing my wobble. Guess I'll look into new rims and/or wheels.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I've bent a few rims over the years by hitting potholes, etc. They can be fixed, but it requires taking the wheel apart. If you're going to go through that you may as well just buy a new rim and re-lace it.

Unless you are going to do the lace and true yourself you might pursue something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
rockchalk08
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I've bent a few rims over the years by hitting potholes, etc. They can be fixed, but it requires taking the wheel apart. If you're going to go through that you may as well just buy a new rim and re-lace it.

Unless you are going to do the lace and true yourself you might pursue something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories
Did the bent rim cause a wobble?

Thats a pretty good price for the set. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

It can. I never left it bent long enough to have a problem. I know how to lace and true a wheel.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would eliminate the other possible causes of wobbling before getting a new rim.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Goodnight77
Cruiser

I hit a bad pothole on my rode to the house and it caused one hell of a wobble.. especially coming to a stop around 30-45 mph, up at speeds of 65+ it was not a problem. I rode with it for about a month and called around and asked about truing a bent spoke wheel and it was like 90 bucks.. got on craigslist and found a wheel from a 07 and put it on myself.. i think total cost was like 110 and the 07 wheel looked better. but long story short, a bent wheel will cause a bad wobble.

Quick Reply: Bent Rim